Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threeboxerlover

Replacing French/Atrium Doors

I have two sets of doors leading to my back yard and both need to be replaced. One is a regular set of french doors but the other is a little different. Hinges are in the center, the right side opens inward, the left side is stationary like a large window - but it has hinges on both sides and can be opened as well. Anyway, I love that door but it is wood and it is rotting along the outside bottom. Time to replace it. The label on it says "Atrium" but I cannot find anything similar when I search on the internet, including Atrium's site. I was hoping someone may have an idea what kind of door this is and where I may be able to find one??? Thank you!!!

Comments (8)

• millworkman
    11 years ago

Sold plenty of Atrium doors years back and never remember seeing one like that so I have no idea other than to suggest you run the other way if someone wants to sell you an Atrium door as they are pretty much recognized as a poor choice for a door. Have never seen or heard of any other brand that operates that way either.

• threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for your response. This door was installed long before I moved in (so it's over 12 years old). It's a nice door - but I cannot find anything similar. I'm wondering if I could just repair the rotted wood at the bottom? I am having a contractor come out this afternoon to look at it...maybe after seeing it he will know what it is! Thank you.

• threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh - one more question if you wouldn't mind - if Atrium is not a good choice, what brands would be? I've looked at Anderson, Pella and something called Reliabuilt (at one of the large home improvement stores - can't remember which).
    Thank you again!

• threeboxerlover DEZ7a
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you!!! I just posted the question in the windows forum. The first contractor specifically said he was going to buy the door at Home Depot and then install it. So I take it from your response that is not a good thing..... Thank you again!

• millworkman
    11 years ago

My problem with the box stores is I just do not trust the people they hire to order the correct product, they sell products so cheap that the manufacturers/distributors have to cut corners somewhere to meet the prices the box stores are willing to pay so you tell me where the easiest place to save a nickel is? You got it either the materials and or the manufacturing process and either one is not a good end result for the end user.

• Jumpilotmdm
    11 years ago

What I think you are describing is a center-hinged patio door. Andersen makes them in several sizes as do other makers.
    Be careful when selecting as patio doors are sized differently [height] then entry doors.
    Atrium is long gone, and should be.

• numbersjunkie
    11 years ago

Try Loewen doors. We bought all new replacement doors from them after our Atrium doors rotted. The Loewen doors have a clad exterior and fir interior.

Atrium doors were sold to another company and are now Ashworth I think. My BIL just bought one for his house and it has a clad exterior but it is the most real looking fake wood I have ever seen. Beautiful.

Good luck!

Sponsored
Buckeye Basements, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars31 Reviews
Central Ohio's Basement Finishing ExpertsBest Of Houzz '13-'21