Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bill_g_web

GE refrigerator water inlet frozen

bill_g_web
18 years ago

I've got a GE profile. The water inlet for the ice maker will freeze from time to time, preventing the ice maker from getting new water. When the unit decides it needs to fill the ice maker, the pressure from the water hitting the ice plug will pop the water hose off the back. To melt the ice plug, I pour boiling water from a narrow nosed watering can into the inlet. Any idea why this happens?

Thanks,

Bill

Comments (4)

• DNT1
    18 years ago

Could be that the area around the line penetration simply needs to be insulated or could be failure or maybe factory misplacement of the heat loop (yoder loop) under the unit skin. Have you checked for a recall on this particular unit?

• bill_g_web
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thannks for the replt DNT1. I did google the model TCS18PADBLBS & ser: TZ908536V, and got zip back. I like your insulation suggestion, had it myself while looking at the tube inside the freezer, but figured GE should have done that and if that was the issue, everyone woulod be having this problem. (It's happened about once every 8 months or so.) I also wondered if the door was stuck open while the water was coming in, so the cooler would be cranking, creating cooler temps than normal, especially in the back where the tube is. Next time, when I have the freezer empty, I'll wrap the tube with something.

Thanks,
    Bill

• sdello
    18 years ago

A couple of thoughts.

"It's happened about once every 8 months or so."
    How often do you use the ice? Does the maker sit full (and idle) for long periods of time? Maybe if you jyst emptied the bin every so often so it has to work, then it won't get a chance to freeze solid.

Also, I assume that the freezer is a self-defrosting unit. The self-defroster works by turning on heaters to melt the snow/ice on the walls. Maybe by design it is also supposed to warm the ice maker lines? Is the frost-free system working properly?

Having the supply line freeze doesn't sound right to me. You'd expect the designers would think of that.

HTH

• chisue
    18 years ago

Is your refrigerator under warranty? Regardless, this is a COMMON problem with Profiles -- as told to me by the GE repairman who couldn't make my Profile stop making so much noise. He was all prepared to fix the problem you describe -- but that wasn't my unit's problem.

Check on the Appliances forum.

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus