Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

I have not mowed lawn since september,will gas still be ok?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I just brought a leaf blower. I will clear up the leaves this weekend and then mow the lawn one last time before next spring. The last time i used the mower was back in september, ( my grass has not grown much since then).
I brought the mower new in back in april.
Will the gas being left in there since september pose any problems when i go to use it on saturday?

Its a push mower.

Comments (7)

• snowbanana
    9 years ago

It should be fine. Just prime it 3 times and it should start no problem.

• bus_driver
    9 years ago

Gasoline stored in a cool place will be fine after 6 months. Storage in a hot place will age the gasoline much faster. This is my experience.

• User
    9 years ago

I've lived in the Kansas City area since the 60's. Never did anything but store gas mowers/weedeaters/blowers in the garage or garden shed from last use(usually October) until first use next year(usually late March/early May.

No storage treatment, no running tanks dry, nothing.

• sdello
    9 years ago

But Handy you know that's not a great thing to do.

It's pretty easy to add some fuel stabilizer and/or run the tanks dry or empty them at the end of the season.

The volatiles in the gas will flash off with time and depending on the level of gas in the tank could leave a thick residue in there.

• tibbrix
    9 years ago

sdello, I think you're supposed to add fuel stabilizer and run the machine so the stabilizer gets into the carburetor. Just running the tank dry w/o stabilizer isn't enough.

• User
    9 years ago

I've been an automotive mechanic most of my life. If a gasoline powered machine is to be stored in a conditioned space, as inside a building, the stabilizer is fine. If stored outside, gas does not flash/evaporate in cold temps. In newer closed fuel systems, gasoline does not evaporate like the old systems.

I have a LawnBoy mower that is probably 25 years old. It sat for two years in the garden shed. I pulled it out, hit the primer bulb several times, it fired just as if it had been used the day before. It has a non vented fuel system(done by me).

I worked for a utility for 22 years. We used stabilizer on some of the equipment, but in a vented fuel system, even stabilizer does not work for more than a year.

Taking the lead out of gasoline stopped most of the varnish problems. The bigger problem now is how the alcohol degrades flexible fuel lines and seals. I have to replace the rubber fuel lines/primer bulb on that LawnBoy about every two years.

Adding stabilizer is not useless. If anyone feels it is necessary, by all means, use it. But, do not expect the stabilizer to prevent the larger problem of alcohol degradation.

• sdello
    9 years ago

"No storage treatment, no running tanks dry, nothing."

"It has a non vented fuel system(done by me). "
    " I have to replace the rubber fuel lines/primer bulb on that LawnBoy about every two years."
    "We used stabilizer on some of the equipment,"

Handy: I knew you knew there's more to it than "do nothing". Of course the OP was only asking about a couple of months.

I've known folks that ran their car for years and 10,000s of miles without ever changing the oil. The car dies eventually but it takes years. There's nothing wrong with some basic maintenance. Fuel stabilizer is cheap and easy.