Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
multipoint on pella doors

Posted by gwald (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 15, 12 at 14:44

hi - I installed pella doors a couple of years ago and I'm happy with them, but I have always thought that the locks were strange. As much as I like the nice fit of the multipoint set-up I am really not happy about the method. If I just turn the thumb-screw, the handle will not lock at all. The only method that I know of to lock these doors is to first make sure that the thumb-screw is in the un-lock position, pull the handle all of the way up to engage the multipoint system and then lock the thumb-screw.

I would have thought that there would be a half-way lock by just turning the thumb-screw so that the handle would not turn. I'm used to it, but I feel like anyone staying at my place needs an instruction manual to learn to use the locks. Just curious if anyone else feels this way or if I missed something about how these are supposed to work. Comments appreciated!

thx,
rob

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: multipoint on pella doors

That is the way multi-point is designed to work. You do not have to engage the multi-point all the time you should be able to use the centerbolt normally and the multi-point function when looking to secure the door at night or in a storm

o

thx for that millworkman. That's what I think too, but I have a single door and double doors from pella, and both with the same mechanism and they both behave the same way.

Have you ever tried a pella multipoint?

I'm thinking of going to a pella store and seeing if theirs work the same way.

o

I don't think you should be able to turn the thumb turn until the multi-point is engaged. That's the only part that sounds unusual to me.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here