Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxan1

Fascia board replacement - who to call???

roxan
12 years ago

I had new rain gutters installed 5yrs ago and a new roof 2yrs ago. The roofer was asked to check and replace any damaged fascia board but I guess he forgot - my bad for not following up. Anyway, now I need to replace a few rotted boards, some at the pitch where there are no gutters and a couple of areas where there ARE gutters. My suggestion to DH is to replace ALL since the house is 45yrs old and still has original boards. The job is WAY too big for a DIY

Who is the best person to call for this type of job? A roofer or a general contractor. I heard that sometimes alum rain gutters may need to be replaced if the fascia boards are taken down since they can get damaged. Anyone have experience with this?

Comments (9)

• randy427
    12 years ago

A gutter contractor might have the best chance of not damaging the gutters when replacing the facia.
    JMHO

• handymac
    12 years ago

Surprisingly, a good painter can often do a good job replacing fascia.

Removing guttering is at least a two person job, which is not bad, msince replacing long fascia is also a two person job.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

"Surprisingly, a good painter can often do a good job replacing fascia."

Maybe some in some states but that is not the norm, painters paint, CARPENTERS work with wood.
    I am a good licensed, insured, etc painter but carpentry work goes to the carpenter.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

A gutter company is likely a good bet.

They replace lots of fascia to install new gutters.

• karinl
    12 years ago

Since some of the work will likely entail removing and replacing gutters, a gutter company is a logical choice.

Since gutters are attached to fascia boards, I think fascia boards are a common topic for them. Plus, you may be confident in the company who installed yours, or this may be an opportunity to try out a new company in prep for your next round of gutter work.

Karin L

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I guess that mean handymen like me cannot do the work? "

If you can handle removing gutters and putting them back up by yourself.

There are some tricks, but handling large runs of gutter without multiple people does not work well.

They are all to easy to bend and damage.

• handymac
    12 years ago

Um, I did say gutter/fascia work requires two or more people.

Replacing fascia can also often require replacing drip edge. Replacing drip edge requires some knowledge of roofing and how drip edge is properly installed.

A trim carpenter might be lost at how to do fascia work. Painters often face that situation. As do handy folks. Or roofers. Most fascia replacement is for small areas, not entire houses. Having the crew hired to do the bigger job instead of finding others to do that small amount just makes fiscal sense.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

you said "Removing guttering is at least a two person job, which is not bad, msince replacing long fascia is also a two person job."

That is a pretty good understatement.
    Try handling a 30 ft section of gutter with only two people.

While putting up sections is not all that hard with only two workers (and in a pinch can be done solo) since the individual pieces are ten feet long, once they are all fastened together it requires about one person for every ten feet to take it down and get it up again.

You can push one every 15 feet if everyone knows what they are doing (but it only takes one doofus to wreck things).