Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Garage Door Sticks When Opening

Posted by honrath (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 29, 08 at 14:02

As I am returning home, when I click the remote to open the garage door, the garage door will open about 6 inches and stop.

I then need to get out of the car with the remote in-hand and while holding onto and applying a slight lift to the garage door handle and pressing the remote to open at the same time, the garage door will open.

When opening the garage door using the wall-mounted push button, I need to keep the button depressed to open the garage door fully. If not, it will open about 4 feet then stop.

Then, there are the exceptions when one push of the button on the wall or the transmitter does the trick!

Can you help??

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Garage Door Sticks When Opening

First things to check are your door springs and then the drive gear. Look closely at the springs to make sure one isn't broken. Then you will need to remove the cover to see the drive gear. It is white nylon and is just in front of the motor. If both of these are in good shape you can increase the 'up force' which is on the rear of the motor unit near where all those white wires go.

o
RE: Garage Door Sticks When Opening

If you have adoor that has springs on both sides,not a big spring across the top of the door, you can rebalance the spring tension to take care of the problem. I had the same problem over the weekend. I corrected the problem by rebalancing the springs and increasing the up force on the opener.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here