Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vertise

Wall Repair

Vertise
12 years ago

Can you mud over drywall paste? Do you need to clean the walls in general beforehand?

Comments (8)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Yes, but it would be a lot better to wash them clean.

You may have problems feathering.

• Vertise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My contractor did this months ago and I've still been worried about what will happen to finishes over time. The 30 year old flat builders paint underneath everything had started flaking off the bare unprimed drywall. I had everything Gardz'd for this reason.

I've always read to make sure walls are clean, dry, paste removed, etc. Even to wash them. I did read in one place to start with clean walls before using joint compound but never came across it again. He told me clean walls weren't necessary for that or painting unless they had a lot of noticeable buildup from a smoker or something.

I don't think they even tackied or damp sponged to remove dust before painting moreless before mudding or caulking.

I'm really not enjoying the luxury of having someone do things here for me. Their practices seem to be very questionable and they make decisions without asking first.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Think I'd pay them up to date and send them down the road. Be more careful who you get to take their place by asking to see their previous work checking references. Get referalls from folks you know who have had similar projects and get contacts from them. Make sure they are insured and if required in your area, licensed. If they cry like cry baby sally about having to re-do and re-finish over the first crews work, find someone reputable willing to do it that actually wants to work. Good luck!

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You can have adhesion problems with setting or pre-mix drywall mud is the surface is not at least reasonably clean.

A dirty hand print on the drywall is not likely to cause a problem (unless it is grease) but dust on the surface can result in a poor bond.

Flaking paint is a problem. It will prevent a good bond with mud, and at the same time can flake off into the mud as it is being applied and worked.

ANY lumps in mud are a nightmare and result in a poor job, and possibly adding another coat to fix the defects.
    An extra coat is not bad by itself, but drives up cost (either the owners money or the finishers money).

• Vertise
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I meant wallpaper paste if you didn't catch that. I'm very exhausted by all this work being done on my home. When I pointed out the diamond embossed wallpaper paste left on the walls, they joint compounded over it to my horror. I've always read to wash walls down so they're very clean before beginning work. They just do not worry about stuff on the surface of things as I've learned on other projects here.

I guess time will tell on the paint. It's too late now. I should have plain stopped them when I didn't agree with their practices, instead of just expressing concern. How do you boss a workman around his own job.

Some of their drywall work isn't looking too good or holding up so they will not be doing any more. Seems to be kind of hit or miss with the quality. I hope it isn't too hard to get someone else to pick up where they left off.

Thanks.

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

They should NOT have been mudding over top of wall paper paste. The walls should have been cleaned first.
    YOU are paying them to do it right.I would not feel bad about telling them to do it properly.If you have concerns they should be addressed to your'e satisfaction, remember YOU ARE PAYING THEM, throw them all out and get somebody that will do it right

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I meant wallpaper paste if you didn't catch that."

The first reply was "it would be a lot better to wash them clean."

"I don't think they even tackied or damp sponged to remove dust before painting moreless before mudding or caulking. "

Reply:
    "You can have adhesion problems with setting or pre-mix drywall mud is the surface is not at least reasonably clean. "

YOU are paying the bill, next time stand up ad say something at the time.

"Some of their drywall work isn't looking too good or holding up..."

What does this mean?
    Cracks?
    Flaking mud?
    Not smooth?

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

brick says(as I said) "YOU are paying the bill, next time stand up ad say something at the time. "

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths