Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cindyinct

Best time of year to replace a roof

cindyinct
12 years ago

I live in Connecticut. When is the best time of year to replace a roof? What are the issues when its done during a non-ideal time?

My roof isn't leaking or anything, a few shingles have blown off, but there are 2 layers, so I'm guessing it will survive the winter. It did last year with all that snow we had. The 2nd layer of shingles was put on just before I moved in in November of 1987, so its definitely due.

Thanks, Cindy

Comments (4)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

For composition shingles, when it's warm and dry time of the year in your area. You have two existing layers, it would be wise to have those stripped, all flashings inspected/replaced if needed, roof sheathing inspected/replaced if needed, new underlayment including grace ice & water shield, and new drip edgings. If you currently have 3-tab shingles, you might consider going with a dimensional/architectual shingle as they are heavier and for the most part double ply'd and handle winds better as the leading edge of the shingle has a better adhesive design vs. a 3-tab.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Seek out a reputable roofer in your area. You might pay a tad more initially but in the long run will save vs. having an inexperienced crew do a hack job. A roof needs to be done right to get longevity barring no natural disasters,( hail, hurricane force winds, a tree falling on it, etc).

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Seek out a reputable roofer in your area. You might pay a tad more initially but in the long run will save vs. having an inexperienced crew do a hack job. A roof needs to be done right to get longevity barring no natural disasters,( hail, hurricane force winds, a tree falling on it, etc).

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Cindy
    I am in Ma these guys go all winter. Of course they don't work when there is three feet of snow. I can tell you pretty much every thing sierraeast has said is spot on. Had my roof done in 6/10 , these guys stripped 2 layers and used the same prescription as was fore mentioned (dimensional/architectural shingle w/ ice and water barrier) and were done in 5 hours. Total cost $5200. By 2:00 you would never have known any thing had been done.There was also a 1 year unconditional guarantee.
    I will admit the price was way under the next closest bid of 6100. But that's what these guys do well. Shop around.