Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
swimkin

Water damage on wood trim

Zoe52
16 years ago

We have some stained oak wood trim that was installed during a remodel in our bathroom that surrounds our mirrors. I have some water damage on them and was wondering how we could repair this ourselves as we will be selling our home this spring.

I figure I have to sand it down. But do I need to restain with oak? What should I use as a top coat? I don't know what is on there now. (All the cabinets were done custom by a cabinet maker and he is no longer around)

Comments (7)

• bobismyuncle
    16 years ago

Define "some water damage."

Put the sandpaper away for a while. There may be less aggressive solutions.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

It mostly is just that the finish looks worn off. Discolored .. maybe the finish is worn off. The water damage only affects the surface not the wood itself. Is that what you were looking for?

• kudzu9
    16 years ago

zoe52-
    Has the wood darkened/blackened where the water has gotten to it? That will affect the answer...

• handymac
    16 years ago

Sand the damaged spots and use a varnish----the builder may have used lacquer or varnish, depending on his preferrences and how long ago it was built.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

The wood was originally stained oak and has lightened and is splotchy but not darkened. The remodel was done about 12 years ago.

• bobismyuncle
    16 years ago

What Handymac says.

Before you do that, clean thoroughly.

To get a preview of what it will look like with varnish added, wipe with a mineral spirits (paint thinner) dampened pad. This will give you a good idea of what it will look like with just a top coat. You can then decide if you need to do any color work.

• Zoe52
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thanks for the help! It looks like something that I can handle without hiring someone else.

Sponsored
Michael Nash Design, Build & Homes
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars254 Reviews
Northern Virginia Design Build Firm | 18x Best of Houzz