Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Water damage on wood trim

Posted by zoe52 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 1, 07 at 12:09

We have some stained oak wood trim that was installed during a remodel in our bathroom that surrounds our mirrors. I have some water damage on them and was wondering how we could repair this ourselves as we will be selling our home this spring.

I figure I have to sand it down. But do I need to restain with oak? What should I use as a top coat? I don't know what is on there now. (All the cabinets were done custom by a cabinet maker and he is no longer around)

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Water damage on wood trim

Define "some water damage."

Put the sandpaper away for a while. There may be less aggressive solutions.

o

It mostly is just that the finish looks worn off. Discolored .. maybe the finish is worn off. The water damage only affects the surface not the wood itself. Is that what you were looking for?

o

zoe52-
Has the wood darkened/blackened where the water has gotten to it? That will affect the answer...

o

Sand the damaged spots and use a varnish----the builder may have used lacquer or varnish, depending on his preferrences and how long ago it was built.

o

The wood was originally stained oak and has lightened and is splotchy but not darkened. The remodel was done about 12 years ago.

o

What Handymac says.

Before you do that, clean thoroughly.

To get a preview of what it will look like with varnish added, wipe with a mineral spirits (paint thinner) dampened pad. This will give you a good idea of what it will look like with just a top coat. You can then decide if you need to do any color work.

o

Thanks for the help! It looks like something that I can handle without hiring someone else.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here