Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roxan1

Frustrated with contractors - need to vent

roxan
12 years ago

I am at my wits end trying to find a contractor, any contractor that will either:

A. Return my initial phone call

B. Come to my house for an agreed upon time for an estimate

C. Call, fax or email the estimate

What am I doing wrong? I am polite and not demanding. I ask what I think are reasonable questions that most people would ask - ie. how many days before the job begins, how long will it take, etc. I thought people would want the work so they can make a living but maybe I am wrong or too nice. Any thoughts before I go out and hang myself?? Are other people having similar problems?

I can do a lot of DIY projects but some are too big and beyond my scope of knowledge.

Comments (8)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Get referalls from family, friends, co-workers, neighbors, etc., who have had work done and ask how reputable the contractor(s) are, the positives and negatives they had concerning the overall performance of the contractor, employees, subs, suppliers, etc.

If a states contractors license is required in your area, get those numbers and check in with your states licensing board for any negatives posted against the contractor. Always make sure they are insured even if a license isn't required in your area. Get references from the contractors and check them out as well.

Contractors that don't respond in a timely manner or at least call to say they are too busy or simply don't want to take on your project is a red flag and they should be avoided.There's no excuse for communication even when it's not what you want to hear, it's best when you aren't left hangin'

• User
    12 years ago

The law of averages says that at least half of the people you contact would return a call to you, even if it was to say, "no thanks", or "here's a skyhigh bid because I don't want to deal with you". So maybe it's not the contractors.

If you cannot get anyone to return your calls, perhaps it's you. "I ask what I think are reasonable questions that most people would ask" may not be so. Perhaps the questions you ask come across as unreasonable or micromanaging and difficult to deal with. Or, perhaps it's the way you ask the questions as if you don't respect someone who works with their hands.

Cast your net wider, and let someone else do the first interview with the contractors. You do the final interviews.

• User
    12 years ago

Your questions are reasonable---I'd not hire anyone who would not answer them---and I would provide that info without the potential customer asking.

There are a couple of reasons why contractors do not answer calls. First reason is because the job may be too small. Many contractors have several workers and their mode of business is to use groups of those workers. Often, if the job is sort(just a couple of days) or small(replacing a door or two), it is not worth the contractors time to even bid the job.

Sadly, another reason is because some folks just do not know how to run a business.

There is another reason. When working on houses, one of the daily problems is that a worker never knows what will happen when a section of wall is removed, or flooring removed, and so on. Some folks have discovered doing some jobs is literally not worth the possible hassle.

So, if your work is minor, like replacing trim, one or two doors, painting two rooms, or installing flooring in small rooms, look for smaller companies or handyman type workers.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

I dont take on work these days as much as in the past, but even back in the days when there were no cell phones, (or at least before owning one), I always made it a point to return calls. If I was too busy, I'd ask if they could wait to be scheduled in at a later date, or even if I couldn't or didn't want to take on that particular project I would say so. Referring them to other reputable tradespeople in our area was always appreciated as well. No one is so busy that they can't return a call even when they can't or don't want to take on a project. It's just good business sense that helps keep your rep intact rather than tarnish it by leaving folks hanging. Contractors never like to be left hanging, either do potential clients. It works both ways!

• don92
    12 years ago

sierraeast said it perfectly, If you want to maintain a good rep. return calls, answer questions, show up on time, finish the work promptly, have a clean work site. If someone does not return your call in a reasonable amount of time, that is a red flag, try someone who will.

• housefairy
    12 years ago

Roxan I ran into the same thing this summer. For the few things that I have hired someone else, the one this summer won the prize for most disorganized and unprofessional. Part of the problem seemed to be the particular trade (concrete) I was looking for. Some would call back then not show up at the appointed time, others were concerned just how big was the job and if it was worth their time.

Not to get into the details but all future contractors will sign a contract with ME in regards to time they will arrive/leave and who will be on the job site. Also a start and completion date. Talking with my neighbors, who have had similar problems, some of the contractors seem to have no concept of what is appropriate behavior. Examples such as bringing your kids and dogs.

Actually had another neighbor who was looking for a concrete contractor to pour her a patio. The guy could have had another job. Needless to say, he wasn't considered.

And as mentioned neighbors/friends are a good source. Though my guys, who put in my windows, I found at the home remodeling show. They were excellent.

• GammyT
    12 years ago

roxan, if they don't call you back or show up for an estimate they wont show up for the job. Count your blessings that they showed they true colors before you gave them a cent.

• deckman22
    12 years ago

My first question is, where did you find all these deadbeat contractors? Try another avenue to find contractors, referals from friends or try angie's list.