Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Craftman Garage opener...bad antenna?

Posted by jaslin (My Page) on
Wed, Dec 11, 13 at 11:44

I have two craftsman garage openers. I finally got one to work with the remote...but the other opener is giving me lots of trouble. The remote will only work if I am holding the remote right next to the opener unit. The outside keyless opener also stopped working. It flashes a lot. Is it possible that I have a bad antenna? Does the outside keyless, battery operated pad also communicate via antenna? The remote, literally has to be right next to the unit. Standing under it doesn't work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Craftman Garage opener...bad antenna?

How old are the openers?
Have you replaced all the batteries in the remotes and the keypad?
Did they work before and this is a new development?

The antenna is just a wire that comes out of the unit. Is it still there?

o
RE: Craftman Garage opener...bad antenna?

I think I had that problem once when my opener was aout 12 years old. I researched and decided it was probably the remote control circuit (that's my terminology--maybe it's a "board") was bad. I think the part was fairly expensive and required electronics skill to replace so We just bought a new one and put it up pretty easily using only the parts we needed, some stuff we used for the install from the original opener. The other one is 18 years old and still going (knock wood!).

Just had my first garage door service ever and it was to have the pulleys replaced. The doors were shaking and bucking on their way down, sometimes reversing. Who knew it could be as simple as a pulley! (it was probably a diy job, but we didn't know for sure what the problem was and it likely saved hubby hours by hiring a pro!) Now they work like new.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here