Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
should a garage door opener keep you from lifting open the door?

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 1, 08 at 11:36

I have a pair of Overhead Door Co garage door opener units. For one, in the closed position, I cannot open it by force from the outside. The other resists but I can easily force it open. Does the second opener have a problem that can be solved by me? I'd like to have the security of a closed door.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: should a garage door opener keep you from lifting open the d

The door should stay closed, otherwise you have a security issue. Can you call the manufacturer or the company that installed it? It could be the overhead mounting or some other fix.

o

check your release cord.. it might be popped 1/2 way open so you can push is past and then open... it should be dangeling by the motor.

m

o

If you have a sectional door and the opener was installed and adjusted correctly the bar between the trolley and door should be vertical or close to it when the door is closed. If not the door can be forced.

o

jaansu,

maddiemom6 is correct. There should be an emergency release cord which detaches the door from the operator mechanism. With the door fully open, pull the cord straight down and release. If the cord is pulled to one side it may have locked in the open position. Next you can operate the door electrically to engage the door to the operator. There is usually a piece on the moving mechanism (Chain or screw) which has to reengage with the operator (Emergency release).

Hope that helps,

Dan Martyn

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here