Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sonic/Laser Measuring Tools

Posted by hittlets (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 7, 09 at 11:33

I am interested in getting a sonic or laser measuring tool. I wanted to ask Santa for one for Christmas. I have been looking at all the different models, and obviously been getting conflicting reviews. I was wondering if anyone on this forum has used one or has one to recommend.

I am looking for something that will allow me to take simple measurements without having to fight with the tape measure. I would be using this inside to measure distances within rooms, and even outside to measure places in the yard. It doesn't have to be highly accurate (maybe 1/4" to 1/2" or so), but it should work. I am also not looking for fancy features like calculating square footage or anything, I can do that myself. I am also looking for something in the range of $50 or less if possible. I just need a good tool that will help me take the measurements.

I searched GW sites for similar discussions but didn't find anything. If there are already answers to my questions and you can point me to the right source, I will be happy to look there.

Thanks for your help,
Tim

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sonic/Laser Measuring Tools

Here's a few from amazon.com.

Here is a link that might be useful: sonic laser

o

They always say they are accurate within 1 inch +/- inch over 40 or 50 ft. Does that mean it would be accurate within 1/4 inch +/- over 10 ft.? Is it relatively consistent in it's inaccuracy? I haven't wanted to spend the money to find out.

It seems good for estimating but not for construction.

o

"Does that mean it would be accurate within 1/4 inch +/- over 10 ft.?"

Not likely.
The inch is a systematic error, and not likely to be very repeatable.

o

I bought a Stanley intellimeter off ebay, new for maybe 5 dollar. Amazing how accurate it is but its really more geared to estimating footage and partial footage, not for butting up against something and getting exact fractionals.

I have no doubt butt it against a wall of one bldg and it will give within a half inch across 25 foot to next bldg. But your not likely to bend down and but it against bottom trim where you might be measuring for more accuracy.. them walls ain't straight and plumb & that sonic boom will be affected by the closeness of the ground. It needs clear free air. example' Furniture in my living room messes it up for accuracy - way off. Its not a pencil beam.

o

It seems that the cheaper ones are best for rough estimates, say for a realtor who needs the size of rooms or salesman that needs to estimate the amount of carpeting required. If you want to replace a tape measure, then you need spend a lot more money. I know there are guys using the high end models to hang crown moulding. From what I've casually read, Bosch is probably the cheapest of high end models. Then Stabila, Hilti, and Leica.

You might want to take a look on Amazon and see what others are saying.

o

This is what you need. It's $65 and it is accurate to 1/16" and is cheap because it lacks a display for inches with fractions (as American carpenters like) but using feet and inches, decimal feet or metric will save you a hundred bucks. Their lesser model (130K) is $100 with fewer features but has inches with fractions.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bosch DLR165K Laser Distance Measuring Device

o

If you haven't got one yet, i can recomemend you to buy this one, it is $30.79, and postage free.
Here is the link of this Distance Measurement Tape
http://www.sourcingmap.com/ultrasonic-distance-measurement-tape-with-laser-point-p-1450.html

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here