Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Install fence with winter approaching?

Posted by Navin-R-Johnson (My Page) on
Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 11:30

I am about ready to get a 4 foot tall black aluminum rail fence installed. Even though it is December, winter has not really shown up yet. Fence guy tells me ordering the materials will take 2-5 weeks, which puts us into mid Jan for installation. He tells me as long as there isn't snow on the ground they can still install the fence w/o a problem. Just as long as they have a few hours above freezing and their quick-drying cement has time to cure. This is a big, nationally known fencing company, they have plenty of laborers, and the job will be done in a couple days. Is this something I should really be doing NOW, or should I wait until spring?

This post was edited by Navin-R-Johnson on Tue, Dec 11, 12 at 16:02

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Install fence with winter approaching?

Location?

o

Harrisburg, PA

o

Is there a hurry?

o

Not really a hurry. It would be nice to do it now just to get it over with, but if waiting until spring gives me a better guarantee of getting a quality job, then I'll wait.

o

It might cost more in the spring because they'll be busier.

o

I don't like pouring concrete in wet ground. I just don't think it sets right.

o

The odds that winter temperatures will have arrived by mid January are around 99%, right? If that's the case, is this company is going to safely store everything until spring, or will they keep pushing you get it into the ground when there are breaks in the weather?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here