Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rskey

Support for steel beam.

rskey
9 years ago

We recently had a steel beam installed in our basement in order to remove some support posts. One end of the beam is supported by four 2x4's nailed together. We've had another contractor say that the beam must to be supported by a 6x6 post. Is this a real safety issue?

Comments (13)

• Elmer J Fudd
    9 years ago

Was a structural engineer involved in this change? If you followed his/her specs, it was done adequately. If not, you may have a disaster just waiting to happen.

• live_wire_oak
    9 years ago

There's also the foundation under the post to consider as well. Was that dug out and reinforced, or is it just the plain basement concrete slab?

• rskey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Just plain basement concrete slab.

• rskey
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Also, no structural engineer.

• greg_2010
    9 years ago

Replace the support posts immediately and get a structural engineer.

• millworkman
    9 years ago

(4) 2x4's supporting a steel beam? In my opinion a recipe for disaster as you may have made your original condition worse......

• User
    9 years ago

Get a structural engineer in there immediately. Who the hell does stupid crap like this???? Unpermitted. Uninspected. Probably unlicensed and uninsured a well. Recipe for a home collapse and lawsuits.

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Any history of the OP having asked here or other forums, prior to agreeing to this?

• jackfre
    9 years ago

If they "under-supported" the beam, which they did, did they also undersize the beam? What size is the beam and what is the span? I had a beam engineered for our remodel. It was an 11' open span. 4x10x5/16" beam (rectangular not I-beam) with 4x6x1/4" posters. Welded at the top and a 6x18x1/2" plate welded at the bottom anchored to 24x24x12deep concrete reinforced footers. Now, I'm in CA and the ground sways occassionally. You need to back up here and pay an engineer to confirm sizing. At least call the contractor and ask him for the engineered stamped calc on this. mine was a T type beam. All welded steel at the top. One post was a 6x6 wooden post

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

I've never heard of supporting steel beams with wood. Concrete block and/or steel is the way to go and the load must be transferred to proper footings. The description of the existing work has "hillbilly" written all over it.

• pprioroh
    9 years ago

Wood has very high compressive strength and certainly can be used to support a linear steel beam which has the much higher tensile strength needed.

That being said, a pair of 2x4's sitting under the main support of a home certainly sounds like a potential disaster waiting to happen. I don't understand why anyone messes with the engineering of a home's main support without really understanding what is involved.

Get an engineer ASAP and please (!) report back with some pictures and findings.

• dkenny
    9 years ago

Trebruchet...my house is built with steel beams supported by 2x4's designed that way..so it can be done..it was 20yrs ago..yes my house has proper footer under the 2x4 posts..one end in a block wall the other on 2x4's in the middle of the room. where the beam ends.

back the OP...get a structural engineer out ASAP..like other have said..
    depending on the load demand a concrete floor(4"thick) might not be enough??

its all about area and distributing the load to not break something else

• sombreuil_mongrel
    9 years ago

Wood is used under steel a lot, and engineer-approved. But you essentially make a beam pocket in a big built-up post so the steel cannot kick out or shift at all. And of course it must bear to earth and have a properly-sized footer.
    Casey