Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jlw2000

Granite stained by super glue fumes

JLW2000
9 years ago

Does anyone know of a poultice that will remove this stain from our Black Galaxy Granite countertop? It was "stained" when a bowl being superglued was turned upside down to dry. I believe the fumes caused the granite to darken. I have contacted a couple local granite places but no one can give me a recommendation.

Comments (7)

• JLW2000
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Here is a picture of the countertop with the stain.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    9 years ago

Here you go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Blue-be-gone

• Daniel Bernard
    7 years ago

Hi. I have the same problem. Turned the vase upside down to dry and I got a fume stain. Were you able to solve this ?

Thank you

• toxcrusadr
    7 years ago

I'm going to guess this has more to do with whatever coating/glaze/wax is on the granite rather than the stone itself. The above link just goes to the front page of the Slippery Rock Gazette so who knows what article they were trying to point to.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    7 years ago

Updated link.

"I'm going to guess this has more to do with whatever coating/glaze/wax is on the granite rather than the stone itself."

I'm guessing you're wrong. Natural stone is susceptible to powerful chemicals such as hydrochloric acid as found in toilet bowl cleaners and cyanurate fumes.

• Graham Lawes
    6 years ago

I had this same problem. After searching around I tried a paste of bicarbonate of soda and vodka, rubbing hard for a couple of minutes and this polished up the counter and made the darker circle (on black granite ) go away. Looks good but I’m going to use granite sealer to maintain it. Don’t know if that would have worked by itself. Don’t recommend any acid or blue-be-gone based on my research!

• DavidR
    6 years ago

No guarantees, but you might try rubbing it with car wax or polish. If that doesn't take it off, try rubbing compound (it's a much coarser abrasive), then apply the wax or polish. This works for many stains and marks on many different hard surfaces.