Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tlbean2004

What is a realistic life expectancy for 3-tab shingles?

tlbean2004
9 years ago

I had my roof replaced 5 years ago with 3 tab shingles.
It was done less than 2 months after i brought the place and insurance would not cover it citing pre-existing damage.
I think the shingles have a 20 year warranty.

Is it realistic that i actually get 20 years out of it?
I had leaks soon after it was replaced because of some flashing.
The roof is shallow and leaves from my oak tree will tend to stay on th roof for a long time. it was swept off about 2 years after it was installed and this past summer i got enough courage to go up there and sweep off leaves and small branches and twigs that had collected.

Could the leaves also cause a problem with the roof if they are allowed to stay of in for an extended period of time?

Comments (6)

• handymac
    9 years ago

There are as many factors concerning life expectancy under the shingles as above them.

The condition of the sheathing, how well the attic/vent space is vented, whether there is a radiant barrier and how that is installed, interior room venting(terminating in the attic space or through the roof vent).

Exterior concerns are the slope of the roof(minimum slope is about a 4/12 pitch---that means 4" of rise per one foot of roof), the sun exposure, shade/non sun amount, climate, rainfall/snow amounts, cleanliness, and proper installation.

If the attic space is not well vented, heat build up in the summer can cause the shingles to degrade sooner. I've seen 25 year shingles need replacing in 7 years due to improper attic venting and hot summers.

Leaving the leaves can foster mold/lichen/etc. growth in moist climates. You do not get enough wind to naturally blow off the leaves?

Sweeping can actually be detrimental by removing the tiny bits of aggregate embedded in the shingles. Blowing with a gas/electric blower is better.

• sdello
    9 years ago

the twenty year warranty is on the shingles themselves and not the roof system. If you're problem is leakage why do you think the shingles failed?

Did the shingles dislodge and come off?
    Are they deteriorated and falling apart?

• BMLock
    9 years ago

There are going to be tons of different factors if you're wondering why the shingles are lasting as long. The weather, the leaves, branches, and everything else that is soaking your roof wet. I'd start cleaning it more.

Here is a link that might be useful: B&M Locksmith

• millworkman
    9 years ago

Look at that, not something you see everyday but a Locksmith spamming a roofing question......

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Probably thinks it's a turn key, and it won't turn.