Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Leather couch discolouration

Posted by erpatches (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 31, 12 at 10:56

I have a burgundy leather couch and for some reason the top of a back cushion has lost its colour and it almost black. It is just the two of us and usually we are not sitting there. Also it is so defined and looks like someone drew a rectangular square.
What can help?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Leather couch discolouration

That does sound as though it's discolored from someone's head resting there. Or perhaps a pet makes that a curl up spot? A picture would help diagnose it better.

o

I have never seen my small dog lie on the couch and usually no one sits in this spot unless we have company.
Just not sure.

o

Roof leak? Plant watering accident? Is it still under warranty or an extended warranty?

o

The plant behind is plastic and had a warranty for 5 years and it is 7 years old. Ceiling is just fine. Just odd that this happened. It is a lazy boy couch.

o

It looks like someone washed something off of it once.

o

It does look like someone cleaned it with a "not for leather" liquid.. I've never seen discoloration like that and in such a specific location. If you have a leather shop around, can you take the cushion to them for some idea regarding refurbishing?

o

"The plant behind is plastic"

Do you EVER spray anything on the plant to clean it?

Like spray and then wipe the plant clean of dust.

o

Thank you for all your postings. Never has this couch been sprayed even my plastic plant I clean in the sink. I have only used lotion that is to be used on leather couches and no other place has this problem on the couch.
I am getting a professional leather restoration advice and will come to the home.
Thank you and I am anxious to hear what he feels is the problem!

o

"even my plastic plant I clean in the sink."

Is it perfectly and completely dry before returning to its location?

As in allowed to sit overnight somewhere else?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here