Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
erpatches

Leather couch discolouration

erpatches
11 years ago

I have a burgundy leather couch and for some reason the top of a back cushion has lost its colour and it almost black. It is just the two of us and usually we are not sitting there. Also it is so defined and looks like someone drew a rectangular square.
What can help?
Thank you for any suggestions.

Comments (11)

• live_wire_oak
    11 years ago

That does sound as though it's discolored from someone's head resting there. Or perhaps a pet makes that a curl up spot? A picture would help diagnose it better.

• erpatches
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I have never seen my small dog lie on the couch and usually no one sits in this spot unless we have company.
    Just not sure.

• GreenDesigns
    11 years ago

Roof leak? Plant watering accident? Is it still under warranty or an extended warranty?

• erpatches
    Original Author
    11 years ago

The plant behind is plastic and had a warranty for 5 years and it is 7 years old. Ceiling is just fine. Just odd that this happened. It is a lazy boy couch.

• hosenemesis
    11 years ago

It looks like someone washed something off of it once.

• Elraes Miller
    11 years ago

It does look like someone cleaned it with a "not for leather" liquid.. I've never seen discoloration like that and in such a specific location. If you have a leather shop around, can you take the cushion to them for some idea regarding refurbishing?

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"The plant behind is plastic"

Do you EVER spray anything on the plant to clean it?

Like spray and then wipe the plant clean of dust.

• erpatches
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you for all your postings. Never has this couch been sprayed even my plastic plant I clean in the sink. I have only used lotion that is to be used on leather couches and no other place has this problem on the couch.
    I am getting a professional leather restoration advice and will come to the home.
    Thank you and I am anxious to hear what he feels is the problem!

• brickeyee
    11 years ago

"even my plastic plant I clean in the sink."

Is it perfectly and completely dry before returning to its location?

As in allowed to sit overnight somewhere else?

• Alyson Sapsford-Mackaway
    7 years ago

How did you get on about your couch discolouration? I'm having a problem with my white couch turning pink and can't work out why.

• erpatches
    Original Author
    7 years ago

Sorry I cannot be of help. I have no idea what happened and so I had an extra cushion due to a mistake in the order, and got someone to use that leather to replace the darkened leather. The leather fellow had absolutely no idea what had happened. I truly believe it was in the leather.