Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Table top stain

Posted by andrew987 (My Page) on
Sat, Dec 12, 09 at 10:17

Hi all,

I wonder if anyone can help and suggest a remedy to this situation?

There was some alcohol spilt on my table and it wasn't discovered for a little while. After cleaning it up, it's left a patch where it has clearly stripped away whatever finish was on it.

I have a manual that came with it that states "this product has been finished using natural materials". I'm not sure on the type of wood however.

If anyone can suggest a way I can fix this then I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Table top stain

Shellac is what was used if alcohol caused the problem.

The fix will be relatively easy. Simply apply more shellac. Shellac is a self disolving finish. The new will partially dissolve the old and blend together.

Now, of course it is not as simply as painting on more shellac. Shellac is very fast drying and difficult to apply evenly using a brush(Do NOT use foam brushes! Shellac will partially disolve the foam).

The best DIY method is to apply shellac with a lint free rag. That means the shellac must be thinned by adding denatured alcohol.

You can buy shellac in home improvement stores, but check the manuf. dates, since the normal shelf life for most shellacs is about 3 years.

In your picture, I would say the shellac is blond(white) rather than orange.

You can get a quart of blond shellac, a quart of alcohol, a soft rag(several), and some 0000 steel wool(or the plastic variety).

Even if you make mistakes, you can just get more alcohol and remove the mistakes and try again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here