Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
solrac6262

please help, new roof installation looks bad

solrac6262
12 years ago

Hello all

I had my roof replaced because of hail damage, approx 97 squares of 30yr HD architectural shingles.. GAF..

everything was looking good I was having a good relation with the contractor, he finished the roof 2 weeks ago it was a friday but cloudy, next morning it was the same, but I paid in full the roofer, after that we had rain, the next weekend I had the oportunity to fully inspect my roof:

all the back hip and ridge look like crap.. they didn't cut the 3 tab shingle in angles, I can see how they stack one on top of each other and the bottom sticking out..

the worst is that the lines are not straigth, I believed that you place a shingle and then the row above needs to be flush, on mine I can see almost the nail line.. but this is almost all the back of my roof, please help, Im not sure if the roofer is going to fix this but if not? am I screw?

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us âÂÂ>

Comments (18)

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

You're right! Whenever 3-tab shingles are used for caps, the exposure is 5" and the back sides cut at a slight angle so the rear of the caps don't show. I would insist on the roofer coming back and making it right. With that exposure, there is a better chance for winds to get under the caps and snap them off. Maybe not now that it's new, but definetely will be problematic as they get brittle with age. Why didn't you use GAF profile caps?

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks for answering, Im very concerend since I paid in full, I noticed this morning as I was climbing and looking as the easy areas, a lot of shinlges have nail heads, some of them on they are on the border since the shingles are not flush as you can see in the picture, half of the nail is exposed others are just in the shingle, I was able to count probably 15, I am also mad since the lines are not straight the way the positioned the shingles insted of being flush they are like 1/2" to 1/4 "above the cutout of the shingle as you can tell oin the picture first row looks ok second looks like crap... thats hoy my roof looks like on a close up..
    any sugestions??
    should I demand for new shingles where the nails are ?

thankss

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

I would have them pull all of them and re install. The exposure that you have is too much as explained above will cause problems. Out here the cap exposure can't be more than 5". Yours are at the nailing/seal tab which is way too much. I would call them on it to install at the correct exposure as well as taking care of the cosmetic issues. Another concern would be that improperly installed might void the manufacture's warranty. I'm assuming they are licensed. If they don't comply, you can file a complaint with your states license board. You might also contact GAF to get their install recommendations for caps. Are all the hips and ridges done in this manner or just this course. If just this course it could be they were getting low on 3-tabs and fudged the exposure to use less materials which is unsatisfactory.

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us>
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.usâÂÂ>

more pictures I have nails, in all the roof not sure on the high areas since I can't climb... can this nails be from the walk boards? is all this normal and maybe I am panicking

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I think you will be getting a new roof. They really stretched the exposure. It's easily 1/2"+ more than it ought to be. You should only be exposing about 3/4" of the darkest band of shadow color on those. Were they worried that they hadn't ordered enough material? But whatever, it's doomed to begin to leak at those exposed nailheads.
    If you have a wrapper handy, check what is specified for the exposure, they always tell you exactly what it is to be, and the warranty depends on how closely the installer followed the guidelines.
    Casey

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

I thought you were still talking about the caps which need to be replaced along with correcting all shingles that have the exposed nails. The leading edge of the shingle above should be down even with the lower courses soild edge where the tabs start. On your bottom picture if you look at the course 2nd course up from the course with the exposed nails, that's where they should be. They need to be corrected and it's not likely from the roof brackets/planking, it's just from slamming them up and getting off course and going with it rather than correcting it then. This is highly unsatisfactory shingling that you need to pursue to get it all right. I don't know what the best way to approach that would be now that you have paid in full, but the install violates the manufacture's warranty for whatever that is worth. Maybe someone here can advise you on the action to take against the roofer to get it corrected. I doesn't appear that you had to permit up for this project as no inspector in their right mind would pass this roof. Take pictures of all problem areas to show evidence to whoever can help you out with this matter.

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Here's some info you might want to run through and have with you or contact GAF personally. Click on "timberline hd instructions, data sheets, codes" on the right hand side under the picture of the house.

Here is a link that might be useful: GAF installation/warranty info

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks so much for all the help, I have pictures from all areas of my house, they all look similar, I was not able to climb on the roof but I count probably 20 nails. I was told to get the shingles with the nail heads exposed get those tabs replaced, but what about the over exposed shingles, how can I fix those??
    I will contact the roofer, whats the best thing to do? replaced all the roof, I don't have a small roof but this deffinetly wasn't my fault it was a very very bad installation, also I noticed that most of the shingles they are chipped on the bottom or look bad like old is this normal??

{{!gwi}}

Uploaded with ImageShack.us >
    {{!gwi}}

{{!gwi}}

• mainegrower
    12 years ago

This is an extremely sloppy installation job. I'd be concerned about how well they did with things that are not visible given the defects in what you can see.

Since you had/have a good relationship with the contractor, that's the place to start. He may be unaware of the kind of substandard work his employees did.

If this was paid for by your insurance company, notify them of your problems.

Also notify the shingle manufacturer.

Have your local building inspector take a look and get a written copy of his evaluation. Get a couple of written estimates from other roofers as to the cost of doing things right.

By all means hang on to all the paperwork and, especially, the photographs. These things will be invaluable should you have to go to court.

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi thanks for the info, I'll do that, I have a good relationship with the builder, probably more then 8+ years this guy is been doing there work for 1 year or 2 I think, so thats a good way to start, the other thing, what about if insurance company and mortgage already did the final inspections and approved? because I paid in full before receivend insurance money.. I am just waiting to received the insurance money but Im affraid to get them involved, especially not right know I dont want them to hold money, since I already put a lot of out of pocket..
    thanks

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

I'd have the shingle mfg rep out to meet with builder/installer, after you and the rep look
    at the install.

don't accept any tar on the nail heads unless you want
    to re-tar periodically.

best of luck.

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

but what about all the over exposed shingles, should the company replaced all those areas too?

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Follow Mainegrower's and E.R.'s advise and get with your contractor and schedule an appointment to have a GAF representative come out and look at the install. Any areas that aren't installed to GAF's spec's will need to be replaced/re-installed correctly. Start out by getting together with your contractor and discuss what you have learned here.

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thanks guys for the info, I have appointment on tuesday with contractor to look at my roof, not aware of roof since he never showed up at the job site, hopefully everything will get taken care of .

• solrac6262
    Original Author
    12 years ago

contractor wants to put tar on nail heads and replace some shingles, starter course was installed incorrectly using the same architectural full shingle just place backwards with the sealant strip in the middle, told it was wrong, but the guy insisted it was done correctly, some of the valleys are wrong guy told me they are ok.. they are coming tomorrow to do the repairs, this will include all roof, should I allowed them to touch the roof if they don't agree to fix all that its incorrect?
    they are sending the same pig installer to do the repairs

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

Do not let them back on your roof to make those "repairs".
    Putting roof mastic over the exposed nail heads is not the correct fix. The starter shingles need to be right or winds will get up under and you'll lose courses of shingles. Your shingle caps have too much exposure on the hips and ridges which will give you problems and you have courses of shingles at the wrong exposure as well. Maybe someone here can advise you what action to take such as your states contractors board if you have one, the better business bureau, or talk to your towns officials. Whatever it takes, don't let them climb up on your roof. You need to get a GAF representative out there as well. A start would be from the supplier that the contractor got the shingles from. You need to get someone out there to back up the fact that this roof is all wrong and will only lead to major problems for you down the road. Don't let them, (roofers), push you into anything that you will regret. Hopefully you can get this straightened out, but I would definetely not let the same installers back on your project period. They have no clue what they are doing!

• deckman22
    12 years ago

That's one big roof (97 squares), steep too.

Like sierra said, don't let the same guy do the repairs & get the GAF rep out there to inspect the job before any work is done on the repairs.

• energy_rater_la
    12 years ago

did you call for a factory rep?

if you didn't and the same guy does the
    bandaid fix you describe three post above
    which we warned against..then its on you.

stop any repairs.
    get factory rep.
    talk with him/her & inspect
    then have builder meet BOTH yourself
    and factory rep to decide upon action.

personally I wouldn't let mess up installer
    do repair.

remember you have to live with the problems
    that will occur, and roofer will be on next
    job.
    and install may void warrenty..

there shouldn't be nails or nail holes