Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need new siding

Posted by craig00 (My Page) on
Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 8:45

Our 1970's home lost some vinyl siding in the Sandy storm and the insurance company is paying for new siding.

So, what to get? The cement fiber board looks great but so does the James Hardie Backerboard material. I'd like to stay away from vinyl and can't afford cedar.

We'll be in the home another 20 years and want something maintenance free. Good insulation properties are also a benefit. It's a two story 4 bedroom colonial about 2,700 sq. ft.

FWIW, the guy who put on a new roof 3 years ago did a great job at a very fair price, but it took about 6 calls to get a call back. Once he responded he was on top of everything. I called him twice for the siding job but no response and I'm less willing to chase him down again.

I'm in Bucks County PA.

Any advise would be appreciated

This post was edited by craig00 on Fri, Dec 14, 12 at 9:12

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need new siding

Backerboard is not intended as use for exterior siding.

Composite concrete products(including Hardie products) that are designed for siding are good long term solutions. But, none of them are completely maintenance free.

The house I just bought has steel and hard plastic (molded to look like cedar shake shingles) insulated siding. The siding has been installed for over 15 years and just needs an occasional washing. Long term, those two would be the best.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here