Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
eosinophil

Squid-gee dry for wet basement?

eosinophil
13 years ago

I'm looking for wet basement advice,please!

I've got a basement that gets wet everytime it rains. We've cleaned gutters, moved downspouts, tried to correct the grade and have fixed all but one of the areas. It comes in, I think, at the crack between the floor and the wall.

I've heard the horror stories about the bad companies and am reluctant to call anyone who advertises DRY BASEMENTS!!! as I assume they are crooks! But I need advice, please!!

I would really like to avoid digging up the yard (again!) and was thinking about hiring a company to put a channel in the interior edge of my basement floor to drain to the sump pump.

Then I saw this Squid-gee dry system, which is kind of a gutter you run along the edge of the wall and seal to the floor to take the water to the sump pump.

Anyone try it? Heard of it? Got any opinions?

Thanks!!!

Comments (6)

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Sounds like you have no foundation perimeter drain on the outside.

No one likes to dig all around to the base of the walls and install the drains after the fact, so you are stuck with draining the water inside the house.

Make sure you have a good backup system for power failures.

• eosinophil
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You're right Brickeyee - if there is a perimeter drain, it's long clogged up - it's an older house (1900 or so); I'm not sure when this part was put on, maybe the 50s. Although it's poured concrete, so maybe a bit newer?

The advantage to the squidgee system is it sounds like it might be something we can do ourselves. But if it doesn't work, then that's not a good choice!

Second option - the water is really just coming in one corner. Maybe we could just dig a second sump pit there to pump it right back out - and send it far enough away to stay out! But it's a bit of a tough spot, as the outflow would have to be sent towards the (gravel) driveway and the directed flow from a sump pump would doubtless wash part of the driveway away.

If anyone's heard about this squidgee thing I'd love to hear any opinions.

Thanks!

• kim_wolke_gmail_com
    13 years ago

We are also looking into the Squidgee Dry system for our basement. We have selective areas that water seems to seep in after REALLY heavy rains. Even though we have not had water since we re-graded soil, we do want to finish the basement so want to put something in place just in case. I called the company and spoke with a woman who said the water will simply come in and flow through the track system into the sump pump. However, if there's not enough water to move along the track, it will eventually evaporate or go back into the weep holes you drill into the base of the blocks. It does seem like a simple, too good to be true concept, but we may bite the bullet and try it out. It'll cost a few hundred dollars in materials (not including the sump pump) plus time.

I'd also love to hear anyone's comments or experience with this system.

P.S. They have a facebook page they just started as well at waterproof.com LLC

• brickeyee
    13 years ago

Everyone wants a shortcut to having the correct drains installed.

IF the water is surface water running down outside and then leaking in you may be able to divert it with gutters, long enough drain lines for the downspouts, and maybe even an impervious layer a foot or so below the grade around the house (I use EPDM usually), sometimes with french drains about 4 feet from the foundation to move the water further away.
    If it is NOT surface water then perimeter drains and an outside sump are still the best option.

Why punch more holes for water to enter?
    If the pump fails a minor problem can turn into a major disaster with all the water that can enter through all the new holes.

No one ever drilled holes in a boat to make it drain better.

• Waterproof_com
    13 years ago

Hi eosinophil,

The SquidGee Dry System is ideal for water seepage entering through were the floor and wall meet. Also, the top of the system is left open allowing any water seepage from the face of the walls to go back behind the system. Our SquidGee Dry System has been very successful remedying basement water problems since the late 1960s.

Here are a couple of tips when installing the SquidGee Dry System to ensure it's success:

1. Prepping of the floor - After you have removed any glue or paint residue off the basement floor, you need to clean it will just warm water, changing the water out as frequently as possible. You want your floor to free of any silt or sand.

2. Installing the Main Sections - When installing the system do not press down hard when placing the Main Sections in place. You simply want to press down with about 3 lbs of weight with each hand, then see-sawing the section back and forth, holding the Main Section in place lightly for about 30 seconds. This will allow the SealOnce Adhesive to ooze down into the cement fines, giving you a water-tight seal.

I hoped all this information help. If you have questions for us at Waterproof.com give us a call at 1-800-828-2947 or visit our Facebook page (http://tinyurl.com/4tynp4u) for feedback from our customers.

Here is a link that might be useful: Waterproof.com - Basement Waterproofing Products

• drywall_diy_guy
    13 years ago

In addition to this system, you should first strive to landscape around the perimeter of the house as much as possible. You can even place plastic that is sloped away and bury it with decorative stone. If you can get the water flowing away, much of your problems might be solved - and this solution will not fail you if the power goes out.

A friend of mine had inches of water in his basement. The ground had settled around the perimeter and he had no gutters. We wheelbarrowed ordinary dirt and built up the grade around the perimeter and he put on gutters. This was in 1999 - no problem since, and no sump pump either.