Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
My front door is pulling apart!

Posted by sharon620 (My Page) on
Sun, Dec 27, 09 at 7:35

Hello Everyone and Happy Holidays!
My front door on my house is pulling apart like I said. It is one of those Stanley steel or whatever hollow doors. It has is making a horrible noise when opening and closing it and is causing the top of the door to pull apart from the rest of the door. I guess there is a final layer on top of the door itself.
We have made sure the door is on correctly (always has been) And for the life of us we cannot find anything in the way. We live in a very cold area so right now it would be almost impossible to put some kind of glue on it. It would never dry correctly.

Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: My front door is pulling apart!

These doors are usually a steel skin bonded to a wood and/or foam substrate. Chances are that the bond has failed.

Now, there's a chance moisture has entered the frame due to failed or improper flashing. The swelled or moved frame may have intruded upon the gap between door and frame...the consequence being that door caught on the frame and pulled the skin away from the door.

The best practice, IMHO, would be to purchase a pre-hung door...you can pick up one for less than $150.

They are quite easy to install, and doing so gives you the opportunity to ensure the opening is flashed correctly. If you do, insulate well the area between the rough opening and the door frame with non-expanding foam. The cans are marked for doors and windows.

Of course, the foregoing is posited upon the foundation is the area not having shifted and being the cause of the opening coming awry!

Rod

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here