Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
new front door sigelights

Posted by mcp4 (My Page) on
Mon, Dec 30, 13 at 1:47

I am replacing a wood front door with 2 side lights. I can not replace the entire unti because tearing this out would creat thousands of dollars in other repairs. I am trying to find someone to just replace the sidelights. IS that so difficult?????

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: new front door sigelights

Not so difficult but the entire unit really needs to be removed to install the new sidelites properly. It may just be a job that a contractor will not or does not want to do.

o

"tearing this out would creat thousands of dollars in other repairs."

The unit has to be removed to replace the side lights. In other words, the door cannot be left in place to replace the side lights.

So, basically, yes, it is that difficult.

If the assembly was installed as a one piece framed unit, there are many considerations that have to be addressed when modifying the unit.

Door installers will probably not want to do a job like that. Too many chances for later problems.

Best chance is to find an experienced handy person----but, there are not many folks with that kind of experience simply because there is not much demand for that kind of work---so not much chance for getting experience.

And, because of the probability of a later problem and the lack of warranty, you may wind up with a much worse problem in the future.

o

Are you replacing the GLASS in the sidelights or the entire sidelights? We had just the glass replaced because I hated the ones that came with the house. (I'm in Michigan btw.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here