Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Filling in hole in block wall

Posted by jb_nj (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 9, 07 at 23:46

I have a 4"x6" hole in my basement block wall where the previous owner had installed an electrical outlet.

What is the best way to fill and patch this hole?

I've had some water seeping through the walls in this area on rare occasions, so I am looking to make this a solid patch.

Here is a photo:
hole in block wall

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Filling in hole in block wall

Put cement board in back and use hydraulic cement for the surface.
Ron

o

Thanks. What is cement board and where would I get that?

o

Or just get some ready mix concrete and mix up a small batch and fill in the hole. Trowel it smooth.

o

cement board is available at Lowes or home depot. It comes in 3 by 5 ft sheets. Idon't really think you need it. Just fill it in with hydraulic cement. hydraulic cement expands when it cures and will cure even with water trying to penetrate it. The cement sets very fast so you have a short working time. Wear rubber gloves while working with it.

o

Is there any structural benefit to filling in the entire block cavity with cement? Or should I just repair the hole? I could be over-thinking this...thanks.

o

You are over thinking it but at least you are thinking. Cement is really the easiest way to fill it. Either stuff some batting of sorts into the bottom to prevent the mix from falling into the block cell below the opening or just mix up some small batches and fill the opening till it's packed full.

o

just stuff some plastic bags or a piece of foam in the bottom and fill the rest with hydraulic cement.

Hydraulic Cement

Many homeowners don't realize that ordinary Portland cement shrinks when it dries. The shrinkage is very little, however it does shrink. This means that if you patch a crack or a hole, a very tiny leak may form after the cement dries.

Hydraulic cements do the opposite. They expand as they dry. In new construction I use them to fill the void areas in foundations around water pipes, electric wire sleeves, foundation form holes, etc. The stuff works! Often it has a short 'pot' life. This means that you should only mix up enough material that you can comfortably use in 10 to 15 minutes

quoted from the "ask the builder" website

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here