Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lauren502_gw

Plaster ceiling crack cause?

Lauren502
9 years ago

About 8 months ago I noticed a crack in our 89 year old plaster ceiling. Over time it has gotten progressively worse. It has been a very slow progression. A few months ago we outlined the crack and stain to see if it spread. It doesn't seem to have spread past our pencil marks. Based on the stain I'm worried there is a water leak somewhere, but it seems incredibly slow to develop. Unfortunately above the crack is the bathroom, but it is also very close to our chimney. We've had leaking from the chimney flashing before, but it was a few feet from this crack and was "fixed" a few years back. With the chinney issues we did see a few actual drips and much more obvious signs of a leak.

This crack confuses me because it's progressed so slowly and I'm not sure who to call. Any advice on who to call first? A roofer or a plumber? I desperately don't want to cut open a plaster ceiling because it will be a huge mess, but I also don't want to ignore the problem. I will say the plaster appears to have been repaired before in his area as it is not as smooth as the rest of the ceilings in the house.

Thank you!!

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource