Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repair/Repoint 130 y.o. brick or drywall?

Posted by amh2949 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 15, 10 at 23:01

I have several areas in my home with exposed brick. The brick and mortar appear to be original to the 1880, row home. We want to try to preserve as much of the historic character of the house, but I know this is bigger than a DIY job since I know that the mortar needs to be matched for composition etc. The bricks themselves are badly deteriorated, so I am not sure if repointing is an option. Regardless something MUST be done, the wall is literally falling apart. Should I pay to have it repaired? If so does anyone know about how much it would cost? Should I look into brick veneer like "BrickIt", or should I just cover it with sheetrock/drywall?
Any advice is greatly appreciated!!
Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repair/Repoint 130 y.o. brick or drywall?

It's not clear from your post if the brick is entirely inside or a part of the exterior brick wall. In any case, just covering it up with sheetrock or anything else is likely to accelerate the deterioration. I would definitely consult a company or two or three that specializes in masonry restoration to see what they say. This is not a DIY project and is likely to be expensive, but if the brick is a part of the house's structural support system you really don't have many options.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here