Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
babyv7

Value Dry vs. American Dry Basement Systems

babyv7
17 years ago

I'm looking to hire one of these companies to waterproof my basement which is an old field stone type in CT. Has anyone used either of these companies or heard anything about them? Value Dry has 14 complaints filed with the BBB over 36 months. American Dry doesn't seem to have anything listed with BBB. They're matching each other's price, so the real issue is customer service and quality of product. Any input would be appreciate.

Comments (23)

• mims22
    17 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

I am not familiar with either of these. My estimate is from Basement Systems ( I believe they have an office in Stamford). I have not had any work done yet, but I was favorably impressed with the professionalism of this company - shared a lot of information and did not come across with a hard sell. I'll keep checking this forum to see how you make out. Good luck!

• wongclan_optonline_net
    16 years ago

We are also considering Value Dry, American Basement and Basement Systems. Does anyone have any experience/feedback

• andreaeve
    16 years ago

I am also considering having work done by American Dry Basement. ADB's Salesman reduced his price twice (once on original call, then second time on his follow up visit.) He gave me extensive lists of referrals, but when I called the names provided, 3 out of the first 6 names I called were disconnected numbers and no longer in service - so sloppy referrals list. However, of the 3 referrals I DID manage to contact, all were enthusiastic about product and service. The salesman told me I could do further research about ADB by calling the state of Connecticut's Department of Consumer Protection to find out more about their reputation. (I haven't yet done so.) In the interim,I was not able to obtain any written literature about the company or the product from the salesman and have not managed to find much info on the Internet either. According the ADB's salesman, the company has been in existence for 13 years and is owned by Peter O'Shea. I'm trying to get more information on owner/company/reputation. I will share this info when I do. I take some comfort that ADB requests no money until work is completed, with full payment due after the job is done.

I would love to know whether any one has used ADB and/or has any additional info on them. Thank you!

• cedwards58
    16 years ago

We used ADB 9/06. The Salesman told us that we would never need another dehumidifier, we would bnever get flooded, and we would be able to put any floor we wanted to in the basement. Well, we have had 2 floods, and we now have 2 dehumidifiers. When we called to complain, they finally came and looked at the basement. we wanted a reimbursement, we didn't get any. They also broke our oil line during installation but they did reimburse us for that. All I can say is think twice. I can't say they are all bad, but I am not happy with what their system has done for our home. Very disappointed.

• pianomuz
    16 years ago

I did some homework on ADB and Value Dry and here is what I found:

I found that ADB has a bad BBB report
    http://www.connecticut.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=32000502

Value Dry has a clean report!
    http://www.connecticut.bbb.org/commonreport.html?compid=66001238

These are all things to look into before getting your basement waterproofed! I did my homework and thankfully it paid off.

• mterio
    16 years ago

We just had American Dry Basements complete our basement. We investigated several companies for the job, including Value Dry and even though ADB was the most expensive we went with them. He did come down twice and if I was a more aggressive person I am sure I could had gotten him down even more.

They did an excellent job, we have no regrets. Their professionalism was far beyond any other and also their references were great.

They were in and out in two days and even help moved some stuff out of the basement for us.

I can say with confidence that I would recommend them. Only complaint I have is that they do not do mold removal - if he states that he does he is not telling the truth. Otherwise great job - satisfied customer

• univax
    16 years ago

I hired this company in August of 2007. I need to caution you on some inconsistencies in the sales persons statements and the facts. I was told that they would only cut a couple of areas of the foundation. In truth, this is exactly backwards. They will leave only a couple of areas where they don't cut your foundation. MAKE SURE that when they fill the cement back in that they make it level. My father-in-laws basement has an angle at the edges now. Be very specific about what walls should be left alone and explain that you expect a professional job. Otherwise they will come in and rip things out without regard.

We did have water in our basement after installation on October 11 and the company came back in on the 13th and "fixed" the situation (their original claim was that it wasn't their fault..don't accept that). It meant that they had to rip out the walls- again however they have claimed they will reimburse me for that. I will have to let you know if they do.

• User
    16 years ago

A friend had her basement treated by Dry Basement---it was a 2,000 square foot basement and they charged her $7,000---doing the job in two days.

Before the job, she would get up to three inches of water in the basement, depending on the amount of rain.

During the job, the workers discovered an underground spring under the house.

Once the work was done, after a two week drying out period, I completely finished the entire basement for use as clothes storage, a home office, kids play area, and TV room. There was never a hint of moisture.

While the quality of the work depends on individaul companies, the Dry Basement program is first rate.

• apbasement
    16 years ago

visit for more info on basement waterproofing www.allprobasement.com

• lucy
    16 years ago

In the end, it doesn't sound like one 'system' is any better than the other(s), but that you need to get references from your own local branch - if the local workers do a lousy job, it doesn't matter which company they're with (that week) but whether they personally know or care what they're doing and whether or not they personally have ever been named in a lawsuit.

• ana_aol_COM
    15 years ago

Do not use ADBS. We had "work" done by them - they are unprofessional, will sell you a bill of goods and leave your basement in a shambles. They did not stand by their word and are untrustworthy to boot. Stay away.

• babyv7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I ended up going with ADBS and they did a great job. I was very pleased, especially with the owner of the company. I did ask him about his negative report on the BBB and he said it was filed by a disgruntled employee. It sounded legitimate and, after doing my due diligence, decided to go with them. I'm very pleased that I did. I do have to say that most of the workers did not speak English, but the foreman was the only one I really had to communicate with. I'd use them again, but hopefully that won't be necessary in the next house.

• sloppyjoey_mail_com
    15 years ago

I just had a salesman from ADBS here last night. He spent 2 hours inspecting, explaining how water can get in the basement, and what his and other companies solutions are. He then provided us with an outrageous price of a little over $13,000. However, he had a commercial project that fell through so he has a crew that's looking for work. If I agreed to sign up while he was there, he would knock the price down to $8,800. If I didn't sign up right then, the price would be $13,000. I have a hard time believing him and we've had a window salesman try a similar tactic. I dislike companies that use this hard sell approach. Has any one else had this experience with ADBS?

• babyv7
    Original Author
    15 years ago

sloppyjoey-
    The salesman said the same exact thing to me about a "commercial project falling through," so it's definitely a scam. I didn't know, at the time when I met with the guy, that they tell everyone the same thing, but after reading these posts, I realize that I wasn't so special. The fact that they do that shows that they're dishonest & shows a lack of integrity, quite honestly. I did end up hiring them & they did a decent job, but I sold the home a few months later so I don't know how the basement held up. I definitely don't agree with their marketing practices.

• cyfree
    15 years ago

Not all waterproofing companies are created equal. We encourage people to thoroughly check the company's background before signing anything. And get estimates from more than one company.

Here are some things that you should look for when getting an estimate:
    A trustworthy waterproofing company will not, and I repeat, will not:
    - Use questionable sales tactics (such as asking for a higher price and then give you an overly "generous" discount, but "only if you sign the contract right now". Beware of this type of company. Chances are that they know they will not be the contractor of choice, should you decide to get estimates from some of their competitors.
    - Misrepresent the urgency of the repairs to be performed or use scare tactics such as the "toxic mold" or "your basement is going to kill you" speech.
    A good contractor will be clear about the products and services you are purchasing and will propose solutions based on your budget and the things you want accomplished. You will know exactly what you are getting, why those products are necessary and what to expect as a result.
    You will be given a complete written proposal, detailing every product and service that will be performed, as well services that will need to be performed by other contractors at homeowner's expense (i.e. a dedicated circuit for dehumidifiers, pumps, etc...)
    When the salesperson leaves, you should be comfortable with every aspect of the deal. You will not be "sold" anything. You will feel as an educated consumer making an informed decision about your own waterproofing needs.
    You will also have a way to contact the salesperson at any time if you have any doubts.
    A trustworthy contractor will have an excellent reputation in the service area, excellent references from customers (ask for them and actually check), good BBB reputation.
    Good waterproofing companies are usually in business for many years or are backed up by a reputable network that will honor the warranty given in products and services over the years.
    Yes, such companies do exist. If the waterproofing company you are planning to hire didn't offer ALL of the above, you should really look further and get more estimates.
    In addition, if you did sign a contract that you feel that you were pushed into signing due to questionable sales tactics, the Federal Trade Commission issued the "Cooling-off rule", made into law in every state, which allows homeowners to change their minds when they purchase something from a salesperson outside the company's place of business. Designed to protect consumers from aggressive door-to-door sales tactics, the law gives you around 3 days to change your mind and cancel the deal, being entitled to a full refund and no penalties or cancellation fees

• murphyjones11_yahoo_com
    15 years ago

Hello folks,
    It's been a few months since the last post, but for future readers I wanted to chime in. I'm in the process of seeking estimates for waterproofing my basement, and have schedule 6 appointments. ADBS was the first appointment, and I have only with Value Dry next week. I was a fan of the salesman and his pitch until he started pulling the same "we have a commercial division and will offer you a discount" crap. His original estimate was $13,000 and the "buy-now" price was about $4,000 cheaper. I asked if the pump system had a battery back-up he said no, that would be an additional $1,300. The second estimate I received only charged $800 for a battery back-up? The salesman wouldn't drop the "hard-sell" attitude and kept saying when I walk out the door the discount price walks with me. Then, said if I signed today he'd given me a week to get my money back. I hate the "time-share" hard-sell crap and will not be using this company simply because of their marketing ploys...
    Anyway,
    since the salesmen left they have called the house and my cell phone multiple times over the last three days. The funny thing is, as I was typing this post they are calling again. 3 days - over 10 calls to home and cell and they have never left a message!!! I'm sure they're offering more hard-sell offers, so until they leave a message I'm refusing to pick up.

Sorry for the long post, but one last thing...

Someone else mentioned it before, but if ADBS has the BEST product, as they claim, why don't have any info on their products on their website? Yesterday, I had a second estimate from Rescon, which is a sister company of Pioneer (which services CN, I'm in MA). They offer 5% off is I sign immediately, but the salesman was pushy he was honest about what they do and can do. I went to their website after and every detail imaginable about their product is on their site! Oh, and their price 45% cheaper. I have 4 more to go, but Rescon/Pioneer made a much better impression on me than ADBS.

GOOD LUCK and DO YOUR HOMEWORK!!!
    -Josh

• kclark06
    14 years ago

I had both American Dry and Value Dry out to my house along with Rescon since they all offered free estimates. I ended up going with ADBS because of their detailed explanation of the process and what to expect. They also had a competitive price for the extensive work that they do. It definitely is not some shady patch job and hoping for the best. I still do not have water in my basement and I used to get a ton, so I am very happy. They guaranteed my satisfaction and I am glad I used them because I was totally satisfied with American Dry.

• jimandmatt
    13 years ago

Value dry are rip off artists that encourage their salesmen to gouge every cent out their customers. They take emense pleasure in separating elderly people from their hard earned savings. Using illegal immigrants and 1099-ing employees who are not bonded, insured sub-contractors to sidestep paying into social security, disability, ect. and simply firing people when work is slim are a few of things they do to rip off their own employees. Get a second opinion (and quote.) Stay away from these thieves!

• bdizzle333
    13 years ago

I had Value Dry Basement Waterproofing and Remodeling out to my home in Boston last spring when everyone was flooding. Everone. Value Dry's sales people were very knowledgeable and polite and they explained everything to me. I checked the BBB before I did business with them and for a huge $10 Million Dollar company they sure are doing a great job. Value Dry installed a basement perimeter drainage system for me and they did it in good time and very neatly. Since they offered a lifetime guarantee on their basement drainage system and workmanship, I had Value Dry finish my basement as well. It's been so bone dry and smells so good down there it's just like the upstairs. I basically doubled the size of my home!!! Value Dry gets two thumbs up in my book. That's what I'd have to say about Value Dry vs. American Dry Basement Waterproofing. American Dry wanted to install a new sump pump for $500 and said it wouldn't guarantee anything including that my basement wouldn't flood again. Then after the weak pitch the American Dry guy said they could do a basement perimeter drainage system just like Value Dry but quoted for about $9000.00 over what Value Dry Basement Waterproofing had quoted me. And Value Dry has better quality product with a lifetime transferable warranty. The American Dry guy didn't even compete with Value Dry and his breath stank like he just ate a S#@T sandwich! Anyway. I used Value

• jameskesslick
    13 years ago

This discussion unfortunately in most instances says a lot about Value Dry and it's competitors; good and bad, but the information here is about as valuable as graffiti penned on the wall in a bathroom stall somewhere. With absolutely no moderation, nor even the basic accountability that people not post anonymously, this whole post must be taken with a grain of salt, if not totally ignored. Value Dry has an outstanding reputation within the communities we serve, among our vast number of satisfied customers, and with all legitimate rating agencies. I would encourage anyone researching Value Dry to look at these kinds of sites, where you may find real feedback, and not simple slander posted by our competitors. Thanks.

James Kesslick, President Value Dry

• bdizzle333
    12 years ago

I'm still not having problems with my basement flooding after Value Dry installed the basement drainage system in home! Thank you very much Value Dry Basement Waterproofing, I have no complaints about the work performed by Value Dry and I've recommended them several times.

Here is a link that might be useful: Best Waterproofing Contractors

• dkth06
    2 years ago

For what its worth. We did our 2500 sq ft basement with American Dry. We did extensive research and their approach was the most logical. Their pipes are huge and get installed at a pitch. Other systems we seen dont get installed with a pitch. So they need to be cleaned out and water just sits there.

Anyone interested in their system should check out their youtube channel. It is a wealth of information.

I had them install cleanouts just incase and i can see the water flowing in massive storms. No more water in my basement at all. It smells like a normal floor. This is after 2 floods back to back in the summer of 2021.

The team was solid. They did exactly what they said they would.

My only complaint is i wish they were more digital. They have an amazing youtube channel but their invoices are old school. But the work is really good.

Just a fair assessment.