Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how to create a tumbled edge on cut tiles???

Posted by jaansu (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 14, 12 at 21:53

My wife would like to have a porcelain tile floor with alternating full and half 13" tiles. The tiles we have purchased have a ragged edge, I guess it is called tumbled? If I cut them on my wet saw, the edge will be sharp. Is there some easy way to abuse this edge to get it to match the existing edges of the tile?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how to create a tumbled edge on cut tiles???

Post this on the john bridge tile forums. In addition to the answer, you might get some valuable feedback on why it might not be such a good idea, looks-wise.

I think a grinder with a wet/dry diamond blade would do it.

o

You can use your wet saw sort of like a grinder to round off the edges and even cut a few nicks out of the edges of the tile, but you gotta be really careful. You don't want to bind up the saw blade, or cut off a finger or have a chunk of tile fly in your eye. Maybe a dremel tool would work with the right grinding wheel attachment - but you might burn up the motor before you got too many tiles done. Good luck!

o

One of the many reasons cut edges of tile are normally 'buried' at the edge of the field where they cannot be seen.

The only edges left in a filed are square cut edges on square cut tile (or stone).

It is often a problem with MANY tiles since they often have a slight rounded edges down to the grout joint, and unless they are a solid tile (same finish all the way through) the square edge sticks out like a sore thumb in a field of rounded edge.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here