Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Plaster wall repair behind kitchen cabinets

Posted by jamshed (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 6, 11 at 21:51

I am replacing the kitchen cabinets in a 1930's house. When we took the upper cabinets off, large chunks of plaster fell off from behind the cabinets. (I think they were already loosened up by the person who installed the previous kitchen in 1988.) Anyway, there are parts of the missing plaster that extend beyound the cabinets and I will reprit those with a basecoat and skim coat. But should I bother plastering the whole area behind the cabinets too? I was going to nail shims to the studs to build them out to be plumb with the plaster, so that the cabinets would have some support behind them.

Am I being crazy/lazy? Should I just take the trouble to plaster the entire wall again?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Plaster wall repair behind kitchen cabinets

As long as the new cabinets are securely anchored and will be alignerd properly, I can see no reason to restore the plaster wall before installing them.

o

I wouldn't plaster but a chunk of drywall might be a quick fix.

o

If there are holes through the plaster a quick repair might be worthwhile, but a 'perfect' repair is not required.

Just close up any actual holes.

o

Air should not be able to pass freely into the stud space. That could increase the spread of fire. If the cabinets are not enough to seal off the space, patch the holes.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here