Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Sill replacement

Posted by glenrad (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 10, 09 at 21:50

About 80 feet of sill in our home needs to be replaced. The home is over 90 years old and much of this is old termite damage. The house is brick, so the sill has to be cut out and replaced from the inside. The carpenters started work today, and the technique they are using is to cut about an inch out of the 2 X 10 floor joist for a length of about 5 inches. This is to allow the new pressure treated sill to be slid into position. The old (and new) sill is about 5 x 8. The joists were already originally notched out about an inch to receive the sill. I am now probably down to about 7 inches.

My questions are:

1) Is the cutting down of the joist end acceptable (I don't see any other way)
2) Would an engineer be needed to determine if gussets should be installed?
3) The sill pieces are going in with lengths of 3 to 5 feet due to pipes and other obstructions. I haven't asked yet, but I don't see any practical way of tying these to the foundation.

House is balloon frame if that is of any matter.

Any suggestions or comments appreciated. Thanks.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Sill replacement

I had "fun" replacing about 10 ft of sill plate once. It sounds like the only way to do it, so it sounds like they're on the right track. Since you're near the edges of the joist span, the notching won't be a problem.

(Full disclosure: I'm not a builder, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express.)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here