Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Acrylic Plaster Texturable (Stucco)

Posted by pinksongbird (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 20:32

Hi There

I am at my wits end trawling the www for hours to find the exact info I need. I wonder if anyone is kind enough to help me on here. I have some texturable acrylic plaster that I have managed to ascertain from my searching is similiar to Acrylic Stucco. I need the answers to the following questions if anyone can help:
-can I apply straight onto a cement wall or do I need to nail mesh to the wall 1st?
-can i use a roller or paint brush or must it be trowel?
-can I add powdered dye to the ready mixed acrylic plaster?
-must you be a professional to apply this product?
-do i need to apply two layers onto my cement wall if i want to make the top layer textured or can i just texture the 1st layer?
-if i need two layers and leave to dry for 48 hours, with water misting, then apply the 2nd layer how long do i leave the 2nd layer to set before texturing it?
-what tool do i need to use for the texturing if i want a random vertical scratched/combed texture effect?

Sorry i know it is a lot of questions. By the way I am in cyprus so it is not too cold nor too hot here at the moment to effect the product detrimentally.

thank you sooo much in advance to anyone that cam help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Acrylic Plaster Texturable (Stucco)

Hi, Is the wall solid cement or block?
To answer the rest, metal trowel as well as sponge trowels are typically used. A wet horsehair brush is used to smooth out imperfections, but it is all about what finish you are going for. With acrylic, you are not going to get a heavy texture that you would with traditional stucco topcoating. As far as color, typically for custom colors, an acrylic additive is used added to the corredt base. This is similar to mixing paint. Your supplier will have all those options along with the correct formulas. One or two layers is dependent on the texture you are after, but typically with acrylic, it is done all in one application for most. You can set up a practice area to see how it goes for you experimenting with textures as well as getting familiar with the losseness or dryness of the mix. It is typically applied directly right out of the bucket after the color is mixed in, but can be thinned slightly, again dependent on texture patterns you are after. You can practice on a sheet of plywood as it will adhere to it, then go for it when you feel comfortable. Let me know about the wall you are applying it to as well as any other questions I might be able to answer or what I might have missed.

Here is a link that might be useful: acrylic stucco finishes

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here