Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
organic_flutterby

brick siding question

I recently purchased an older brick home. The previous owners added a room right over the existing brick siding, making the door way between the 2 rooms about 17" thick.

I want to remove the old brick and make a regular doorway width.

Is it possible to do this?

Your advice is most welcomed and appreciated!

Here is a picture of the wide doorway with a piece of the drywall cut away. I want to remove the left side of this wall.

Comments (4)

• klem1
    9 years ago

My apoligies but I can't make heads or tails of the picture but I have done exactly what you plan. First off understand origional brick didn't support any other part of the structure. The process is simpe and go's rather quickly. Before starting see if top plates of old and new are tied togeather. If not,they should be after you finish.
    Unless they unwisly tied framing members of new room to brick,here's what's required. At each end of brick wall cut brick from floor to top useing a masonary blade in a hand held circular saw. It's not possible to cut brick flush so between a whole and 1/2 brick will show at each end. Run,cut through grout line of ever-other brick course. Have a helper keep blade wet and lubercated with water from large squirt bottle or garden sprayer. Don't try cutting full depth in a single pass,make 3 to 6 passes. You will wear out at least 1 carbide masonary blade so use a new blade at max depth for final pass. You will not be able to cut completly through brick but after adjoining brick are gone a sharp hammer tap on a chisiel or steel wedge set in saw kerf will break it clean. Start by removing center brick in top course by scraping and digging grout from both ends. A light tap will dislodge rest of course 1 bick at a time. Work from top to bottom. Just use a 1x and molding matching base or door to fill void at short brick stubs on each end. If floor on both sides of wall are at same height,bottom course is half buried in concrete which will likly require chipping out in order to fill with new concrete. In that event,don't attempt perfect level and finish with concrete. Instead,bring it near level then finish off with floor leveler from flooring supply store.

• organic_flutterby
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you. It sounds like a horrendous job. I'm not sure I can use a saw that requires water though. Is there another method?

The floors in the 2 rooms are not on the same level, the new floor is higher than the old and there is a slope in the doorway.

I apologize about the picture. I see that it is too close up. It is the 17" doorway width with a piece of drywall removed to show the inside. So you are looking at the end of the wall.

• klem1
    9 years ago

"I'm not sure I can use a saw that requires water though. Is there another method?"
    Sure,just skip the water and budget for more blades and dust masks. And of course there's always sledge hammers like they use on tv remodeling shows.

• energy_rater_la
    9 years ago

hammer drill.
    lot of work. not sure what OP wants to
    accomplish.