Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Aluminum siding is falling off...

Posted by xantippe (My Page) on
Thu, Nov 2, 06 at 19:23

This spring, we purchased a lovely little 1929 English style cottage. The only problem with it was that it has aluminum siding. We really don't like aluminum siding, but we thought we could deal with it... that is, until this week's high winds. *cue ominous music*

So far, two pieces of siding have started to come off. Both are about twenty feet long. One came off halfway (as in flopping on the ground at one end, but still attached at the other end). The other one is just lifting up at the bottom by several inches. The winds and rains are supposed to continue, so I'm really scared!

So, my question for all you experts is how do we reattach the falling/fallen pieces? Do we use special nails? Special adhesive? Or what?

Also, how do we go about deciding if the siding needs to come down permanently? We would love to restore the integrity of the house by exposing the original shingles, but were terrified of opening a can of worms. Its just a starter house, so we cant afford to sink a ton into it. On the other hand we sure hate that siding!

Thank you so much for your help! I really, really appreciate it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Aluminum siding is falling off...

If the original siding is under the aluminum siding, assume it was covered for a reason.

If a wind pulled it off, it might have been put on with short nails or maybe those pieces were not nailed into studs or who knows. Because you don't know your best bet is get a siding person or handy man in to try to rehang it as a quick fix.

In your purchase did you get a standard one year warranty for any major defects? Siding that blows off the first big wind is a major defect because it either wasnt hung correctly or was hung on a surface that needed to be replaced.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here