Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What would you do with this exposed foundation wall?

Posted by braytonak (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 9, 08 at 19:08

I learned this summer that the foundation wall under my back deck / porch doesn't have any earth against it. The ground slopes from all sides of the deck, which isn't that big, steeply down to the bottom of this wall. The ground is covered with plastic. Fortunately the deck has a clear roofing material so that there's really not that much water that his the plastic.

At the moment I can't recall if the wall is sealed or if it's bare cement block. I would like to do something to insulate this wall. I know I can hang fiberglass batts in the crawlspace, but should I consider applying spray foam to the exterior of this wall? Should the ground be filled in and then sloped to the *outside* edges of the deck with the plastic covering keeping water from entering close to the house? It would take at least a pick-up truck full of dirt to fill the hole and slope it.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What would you do with this exposed foundation wall?

You seem to have the proper solution of regrading so the water runs away from the house.
I'm not sure what your asking.
Ron

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here