Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Insalling soffit baffles in attic

Posted by ranger481vs (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 6, 10 at 17:41

I am installing baffles in my attic in preparation for blowing in fiberglass insulation. It looks like I have soffit vents located in approximately every other set of rafters. Do I need to install baffles between every set of rafters or can I skip every rafter to match up approximately with the vents?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Insalling soffit baffles in attic

I would put them in every bay, cheap insurance for a couple of problems. Imagine how much fun it would be to have to add them in later, if you started have problems with ice dams or similar problems.

o

Ice dams are caused by heat escaping through the entire roof and water from melted snow freezing as it passes beyond the insulation at the eave. To reduce this problem it is necessary to get the insulation as far into the eave space as possible and the baffles allow this to happen without blocking the vents.

The eave air vents are for the purpose of helping excess moisture to escape from the attic at the ridge vent. The amount of air flow through the eave vents is unlikely to be enough to have a substantial effect on the temperature of the roof so put the baffles where they will allow the most air movement. The foam type are vary good. Also be sure their net clear vent opening equals that of the ridge vent.

o

Thanks for the responses. I went ahead and put them between every rafter. Not fun work, but glad it's done!

o

want to come do a baffle install for me?
I'll gladly sub it out...LOL!

o

My ceiling was insulated with batts, and the baffles they used are only just enough to cover the existing insulation. If I want to add blown-in, can I just slide the longer baffles under the existing, or do I have to remove the existing ones?

It's a pain to have to do either, but if I don't, the blown-in will end up in the soffits.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here