Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
how long to gut a small basement?

Posted by arnold4321 (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 2, 09 at 17:21

I will soon be moving into a house that has mold in the basement. I will be tearing out the basement drywall and probably also the studs, just to be thorough. The floor is concrete.

The basement is 500 sq feet and is two rooms. Really it's just one big room and a little partition around the water heater and furnace. The furnace will be junked. (There is also 300 sq feet of crawlspace which, of course, has no drywall.)

There are approx 120 feet (length) of walls total. The ceilings are low -- about 6'1". So, the total surface area of drywall on the ceiling and walls combined is about 1200 sq feet. Assuming about 2.5 lbs of drywall per sq foot, it's about 3000 lbs of drywall to tear down and move out to the dumpster. Kind of like moving 60 50-lb boxes, though it will be in all sorts of inconvenient shapes.

I used to do demolition work years ago, when I was a teenager, but it's been so long I'm having a hard time guessing how long this job will take and how much help to get.

So, how many man-hours are we looking at here... assuming motivated and able-bodied persons?

This job is all gutting and no replacement of drywall or studs. I want to get it down to the bare masonry so I can monitor the basement for leaks and condensation.

The basement has a good-sized door to the backyard, with about 5 steps to get up to the backyard, so it will be pretty easy to carry the waste out and throw it in a dumpster.

I figure I'll proceed with the drywall removal by finding studs and cutting off pieces between studs with a utility knife, then prying the remainder off of studs.

Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: how long to gut a small basement?

This sounds to me like a weekend job if you work with a couple of friends. However, do you have wiring or piping in these walls to deal with? And, could any of those walls be structural (load-bearing)?

o

No structural walls. There are a couple electrical outlets, so there are some wires in there. Maybe some pipes in the ceiling. I'll have to be careful about that.

I think you're probably right that it can be done in a weekend with some help.

o

If you concentrate on removing the drywall in sections a stud or joist bay wide it will go much faster.

Fewer trips with manageable sized pieces beats picking up hundreds of little scraps with a shovel.

A coal or grain shovel is also useful for picking up the inevitable small debris.

Once the drywall is off, a sawzall will make short work of cutting nails holding the studs to free them.
Cutting wood is a lot slower than buzzing through nails.

If you make an initial opening in a stud or just bay large enough to look in the bay you can use a sawzall to cut out panels of drywall for quick removel.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here