Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jaxo_gw

Can't seal air coming through door gaps

jaxo
12 years ago

Air was leaking around the door, so I had the seal replaced. It didn't solve the issues.

I now see that it is because of door security hardware that the door does not shut 100% flush with the door jamb. Because of this, air gets between the deadbolt locks and the jamb and also by the bottom of the door near the floor and the door jamb.

I don't want to remove the hardware, so is there some kind of additional flexible seal that can be installed either on the door or in the door jamb that will make the door air tight won't stop the door from closing?

I want to stop cold air from coming in and also stop insects from climbing through the gap near the floor.

Comments (12)

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

You need better gaskets.

Things like hollow Teflon tubes are placed on the jamb at the stop bead and can seal just about any size gap.

Try resource Conservation, Baltimore, MD for a good assortment of weatherstripping.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Actually the door frame is reinforced with metal. A stiff shoulder won't do anything. There is security glass in the door and a vibration sensor on the door that will go off on the first attempt to kick it in.

The other photo wasn't clear, so here is another.

• User
    12 years ago

Looks to me like the door wasn't installed square and tru, OR the house has settled enough since installation that a once-square door is no longer.

• millworkman
    12 years ago

Plus 1 on the problem being installation!!

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

I agree that the added metal plate is preventing the w-strip to seal to the door, because the plate has a definite thickness and is causing the w-strip to deflect from the door above and below it.
    You need a more conformable w-strip, a thinner plate, or a tapered shim added above and below the plate to transition smoothly without a step. I'm thinking HDPE milled down to a taper and attached with double-sided adhesive.
    Casey

• jaxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

What about a very soft and flexible weatherstripping on the door or door jamb that will mold itself to fit and fill in the irregular gap when the door closes?
    Any recommendations?

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

The softer the material, the more prone to wear & tear. The doorknob zone is always hard on these vinyl-wrapped foam w-strips anyway.
    I wonder: it's a steel door? So how about a magnetic w-strip that gets a very fine cut through the magnetic part corresponding to the top and bottom of the plate; with the two cuts, the strip can easily step over it without any flexing, keeping tight against both planes. The cuts could be filled with sealant to lock them back together as one unit with the step built in.
    Casey

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"What about a very soft and flexible weatherstripping on the door or door jamb"

Teflon tubing in the corner of the door jamb and stop.

I gets compressed but does not have a lot of wiping wear to damage it.
    the corner of the door just compresses the thin wall flexible tube.

It is held in place with silicone caulk.

• jaxo
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wonder if just getting a storm door outside this door would be the easiest solution, but I don't think I want the hassle of opening 2 doors and a sorm door may interfere with getting the washer dryer outside if they need to be replaced or if I move.
    The shim idea might work, but paying someone to do metalwork might not be worth it.
    I dont fully understand the Teflon tubing idea.

• jonnyp
    12 years ago

Ditto on the install. I got a funny feeling who ever installed
    the dead bolt used the wrong back set and cut a whole for the dead bolt and used the stiffener to cover the remnants of the original hole.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"I dont fully understand the Teflon tubing idea. "

It is sold as weatherstripping for retrofit on older installations.

The cataglog from resource conservation has this and many other types of weatherstripping.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County