Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
patriot_ne

Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener Problem

patriot_ne
18 years ago

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener that is about 4.5 years old. Model number is 139.53xxxSRT1. Recently it has started to not close without the safety overide, that is, by pushing and keeping down the Wall Premium Console Control (3 button one) close button till the garage door closes completely.

The receiver sensor's green light was not staying on, so I tried aligning it many many times and never got it to stay on continuously. I even ordered new sensors from Sears and wired those up and same problem. The green light on the sensor would no stay on.

After lot of trying this is what I see, when I bring the recieving sensor to within 4 feet of the sending sensor then the green light stays on and the door closes. As I take the receiving sensor farther than 4 feet the green led will stay on for 1 to 2 seconds and then fade away and door will not close. I hooked the same sensors to the 2nd exact garage door opener I have and the reciever's green light stays light. I also checked the voltage at the two screws where the sensor wires are hooked to and the garage door opener that will not close shows about 4 volts and the other good garage door opener shows abot 6 volts. Other than not being able to close the door with the remote and having to manually overide the safety sensors, everything works good.

I am looking for help on how to fix this problem, as cheaply as possible of course :-). Is there any thing I can do on the board to increase the voltage to the sensors? Or is there some thing else I am not doing correctly? Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Comments (30)

• patriot_ne
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Thanks Don for your reply.

I worked with them with couple of phone calls on Sat before posting. They asked me to replace the wires to both the sensors and that made no difference. Last we left it at was that I might need a new board. Before I order a new board I was checking here whether there is any thing I can do with the existing board, like increase the output voltage at the terminal screws for the sensors.

If I do not hear any thing, I will have to go for new board or new GDO :-(.

• mikechamz
    17 years ago

I have had my 1/2 craftsman opener for 3years w/ no problems. My remotes suddenly stopped working. I have tried clearing and resetting the codes with no luck. The wall pad seems to have no problem and can be reset. I read that the units lights should blink once it receives the codes. My lights don,t. The small light near the reset does what it is supposed to, but my remotes aren,t opening my door. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Model 139.53 etc. Bought in 2003.

• Don_
    17 years ago

Does your wall control have 3 buttons? (Not the wireless keypad)Check to see if the light behind the large button is blinking. If it is, press and hold the button with the icon of a padlock for 3 seconds and release. Now try your remotes.

• mikechamz
    17 years ago

Thanks don for your response. I do not have my manual, so I was a bit in the dark. I figured it out last night. The directions for resetting the codes on the unit it self are not correct. It tells you to hold down the red button until the lights blink, but with the rolling code version you just hit the red reset button once then release and then hold down your remote button until the lights flash. I am victorious!

• jazzyone
    17 years ago

I do not have my manual and all remotes are lost for my Craftsman 1/2 HP chain driven unit. I purchased a universal remote and set it sucessfully without knowing the switch and DIP codes or model number. The door openned and closed via the newly set remote. Went back later to use the remote and the doors did not close the lights on the unit blinked continuously. What do I do, how do I find the necessary codes and can the remote be reset and start from scratch?

• sdello
    17 years ago

There were a number of different Craftsman 1/2 HP chain drive units produced over the years that use different radio technology for the remotes. As such there is no true "universal" remote that will work properly with all of the units.
    The model number should be clearly stamped on the unit. If you truly have DIP switches there will be an access panel on the unit where they can be viewed and/or changed.

I suggest you better identify the unit that you have and confirm that the remote you purchased is compatible. The remote should have instructions on how to program it.

Alternately get the exact model number and call the 800 number listed above for assistance.

Good luck.

• msfreche_ncsu
    17 years ago

I am not able to close my garage door with the exception of holding down the button on the wall console. The problem is that when closing the door, it will attempt to close then immediately retract and go back up. At first it happened only in cold weather but is now happening most of the time. I've tried adjusting the force settings and have confirmed that the sensors are aligned. Any ideas would be most appreciated. Thanks.

• doorguy06
    17 years ago

msfreche,

When you hold down the wall button you are overriding your saftety sensors. Does this unit flash ten times when it reverses? If so your sensors are not aligned. You should have a green or yellow light on one of the sensors that is on all the time, the other will be solid green when properly aligned. You might have to get down on your hands and knees and look, the slightest flicker can cause you door to reverse. I would double check the sensors and if all is well, then I would suspect you have a bad logic board.

• raknas
    16 years ago

I have the same problem as patriot_ne. Patriot, Can you please tell me how you fixed your problem? Thanks in advance.

• patriot_ne
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Sears said I had to get the board replaced. So instead I purchased a new GDO.

• lumper20
    15 years ago

If your door starts to go down and stops, and you see the opener lights flashing, I bet one of the sensor lights are off.

I just aligned my left floor sensor by unloosening a wing nut and jiggling the sensor until the green light came on. Then I tightened the wing nut while holding the sensor in place with green LED on.

The door works fine again. Beats a $100 plus repair. Took all of 30 seconds.

Also, my three function remotes went out years ago. I bought a Sears universal remote where you dial your code numbers inside. I recommend it as it uses a 13 volt battery.

• lumper20
    15 years ago

Sorry. It uses a 12 volt A23 battery.

• ravirnj
    15 years ago

hi
    i have the same problem in resetting the code in craftman garage opener. it works fine with the wall one. but when i tried entering the code from outside door, it just blinks and not working. i dont know how to reset the code. also my remote is also not working. changed the battery and still having issues. can someone help how to reset the code or test the unit outside the garage door. I am new to this.

• don_1_2006
    15 years ago

Find the smart/learn button on the back of your motor unit. It is just to the left of those white wires. Press and immediately release this and then walk to your keypad and enter your 4 digit number and press enter. To program your remote press and hold the button on it while you press and immediately release the smart/learn button. If these don't work you probably have a bad logic board.

• celt101
    15 years ago

Sounds like your logic board might be going on the fritz. If you think you might want to replace it yourself, I can tell you where NOT to buy it. I recently bought one from Ontario Supply in New York from their web site for $60. Unfortunately, it has turned out to be defective and they won't refund my purchase price even though I sent the defective unit back at my own cost. So, don't buy from them, they don't deal fairly in my opinion. I think you're best off just calling a local repair service and let them replace the board. If you replace the board yourself and it does not work, you're just going to end up calling a repair service anyway. Ontario Supply operates under the following web sites:

http://www.wholesalegaragedoorparts.com

and

http://www.liftmasterpartsonline.com/

In my opinion, you should avoid this company

• greeno1
    13 years ago

I am not able to close my garage door with the exception of holding down the button on the wall console. The problem is that when closing the door, it will attempt to close then immediately retract and go back up. At first it happened only in cold weather but is now happening most of the time. I have tried to allign the sensors but there are no lights what so ever to do so any ideas?

• richard_j_pearl_irs_gov
    13 years ago

I replaced both the large gear and the worm gear as both were worn. Now, the garage door will only go up about 2 feet and stop. When I hit the button, it goes another few feet and stops. It only goes up. Eventually, it hits the opener unit itself and still won't stop or reverse. HELP?

• ann_pederson_appliedsolutions_com
    12 years ago

I have a 2003 Sears Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage door opener part number: 41A5021-2G.

When I hit the button on my remote control, the light does not come one and the door does not open. If you take the plstic lens off the receiver, and you hit the button, you can see the light inside the receiver flash.

I tried to reprogramming the remote and it doesn't work and we have 2 garage door openers and the remote works fine on the other door.

The wall unit and keypad both work.

Does anyone know what my problem might be.

• sdello
    12 years ago

Ann:
    It sounds as if you may have accidently set the opener in "vacation mode" which disables the remotes. Is there a blinking green LED light on the wall unit for the opener that is not working? If so the blinking indicates "vacation mode". There should be a small button with an image of a padlock on it. Push and hold the button for a few seconds. The LED should stop blinking and remain on steady and your remote should work.

Hope that helps.

• bike75007_yahoo_com
    12 years ago

I have a craftsman 1/2 hp gdo. The date on the unit is 01/97. The door is in the closed position, when I try to open it, the motor and chain go the wrong way, as though it thinks its in the open position. When this happens it causes the track to bow and puts excess tension on the cable while the chain sags.
    I'm not sure what to do.
    Hope you can help.
    Thanks, Mike.

• mangeloff_wrecolor_com
    12 years ago

I have a Craftsman GDO #139.53674SRT2 recently it quit working. Neither of the 3 remotes work, or the wired wall button. When I press any of the transmitters or wall button the unit makes a click and then the orange light on the unit blinks 5 times, the light doesn't come on. The light does not come on when the beam is broken on the photocell eyes either. What do you think the problem is? I have checked the alignment of the photocell eyes and replaced the wired wall button, no luck, any advice?

• clynch_merkleinc_com
    12 years ago

Trying to reprogram my Craftsman 1/2 HP Garage Door Opener remotes and when pressed, the "learn button" indicator light on the opener won't flash like it's supposed to. stays solid for 15 secs then turns off. it's preventing me from reprogramming remotes. --cgl

• jrdarland
    8 years ago

I have a Sears Craftsman 1/2 hp 315 MHz Garage Door Opener, Model #139.53993DM. It is six year old. The door was open and then all of a sudden it closed and all I could hear was a rapid clicking sound. Remote controls had no effect on the sound nor did the wall control console. The only way the rapid clicking would stop was to turn off the power. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what is happening with this unit?

jrdarland@gmail.com

• Arthur Webber
    8 years ago

there are increase distance shut and increase distance open on my unit. adjustment helped so far. now it stops where it should.keeping my fingers crossed.

• Paul Dubsky
    8 years ago

Light Issues - for those with light not working issues, I had problem where both lights didn't work. Easy solution for me, just had to get tweezers or needle nosed pliers in the socket to pull out the medal connection from the bottom of the socket. Basically, the end of the bulb wasn't able to make contact with the medal in the socket as it got flattened out. Saved 15 for replacement socket and service call.

• sdello
    8 years ago

Paul: Of course you want to make sure that there's no power going to the unit before you start sticking pliers into the bulb socket.

• Paul Dubsky
    8 years ago

Yes, very good point, sdello! I figured that was common sense, but these days, you never know! Thanks.

• Jodi Carey
    8 years ago

Hi, I'm looking for help with programming my garage door keypad.

It's a Craftsman model 41A5021-2G. I don't have the manual, or the original code and everything I have found says to reprogram and hit the enter button. There is no enter button on my keypad!

• paul catalano
    3 years ago

Hello

i hope someone can help my wireless keypad outside and my remotes work they open and close the door the wall button does not work i have tried a new wall remote and new wires and still not working any suggestions

Sponsored
SK Interiors
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Loudoun County's Top Kitchen & Bath Designer I Best of Houzz 2014-2022