Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Asphalt Driveway Question

Posted by gryd (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 15, 11 at 16:11

I just had my asphalt driveway done. There was an existing driveway there previously and grass on both sides. The contractor seems to have done a good job but he didn't use wood strips as a form or border on the edges. He simply followed along the grass edge. I don't care that the line is not perfect as my grass will grow right up to the edge. I'm more concerned with the structure of the driveway and if not using these forms or strips would have any effect on that? Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Asphalt Driveway Question

asphalt isn't usually formed. It's a heated granular material that's placed and then rolled to densify it. It doesn't flow like concrete.

Without forms the paste portion of the concrete mix would tend to flow out the edges of the pour and leave just aggregate behind.

The only time they use a "form" with asphalt is when a clearly defined edge is desired/required. Otherwise, it just slopes at the ends.

My 0.02

o

Thanks for your response. I guess I'm okay then.

o

One more question: If it slopes at the ends wouldn't it be weaker there?

o

weaker how? the asphalt is just a toppping/finish surface, it has no real "strength". Yes it will settle and separate more easily but providing the base it stable, it shouldn't go anywhere.

o

If figure if it was thinner on the edges then it would crack easier there? When you say "separate more easily" are you referring to cracking?

o

I assume that the edges are tapered. It is diffcult to roll these areas so you can likely see a granular finsih as opposed to a solid looking edge. Movement at the edges of the granular face would appear more as a "separation" of material than a "crack" but the net result is the same.

Short answer is "yes".

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here