Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
chipster_2007

Can I Paint Over Easysand JC?

chipster_2007
12 years ago

I just finished patching some areas on walls in the bathroom using easysand. Do I need to put a skim coat of all purpose jc over the repaired areas before priming /painting or can I just sand, prime and paint over the easysand. I read somewhere, where the finish of the easysand after painting does not look as good as an area that has been skim coated with all purpose joint compound. Thanks

Comments (10)

• PRO
    Christopher Nelson Wallcovering and Painting
    12 years ago

can I just sand, prime and paint over the easysand.

Yes

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

Joint compound or standard topping will result in a more durable surface.

• chipster_2007
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank You.

• sombreuil_mongrel
    12 years ago

Easysand is quite a bit harder (more durable, by definition) than drying-type muds, so I would have to take exception with the last post.
    It's fine to paint as long as it's a) fully dry and b) been wiped down with a wet sponge to remove the sanding dust.
    Casey

• sierraeast
    12 years ago

For a perfect job, skimcoating the entire wall after patching and feathering out the repair areas will give you a consistent finish with the paint. No matter what compound
    you use, the patched repairs are going to differ from the existing surface and will show. Skimcoating is a practiced art so if youare looking for professional results, get a reputable finisher to skim coat for you. Then after it has cured fully, you can primer followed by two finish coats.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

"Joint compound or standard topping will result in a more durable surface."
    Easysand (a setting type joint compound) beasts pre-mixed mud in just about every application.

Prime and paint.

Easyand will actually soak up less water than pre-mixed mud.

• snoonyb
    12 years ago

"Easysand is quite a bit harder (more durable, by definition) than drying-type muds, so I would have to take exception with the last post. "

So, other than facilitating a shorter time between coats, its preferable to use "easy sand" over conventional compounds?

And the term "east sand" would originate from which condition of the setting compound?
    Could it be that it is easier to sand than conventional setting compounds or conventional drying compounds?
    Because its softer?

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Durabond preceded Easysnd on the market.

It is as hard as actual plaster, and a PITA to even attempt to sand.

Easysand allows for the lower skill of drywall finishers (compared to plaster finishers that do not sand) to use a faster setting compound.

On a large job it does not have much advantage since by the time you get around to needing a second coat enough time has elapsed for setting of the pre-mix, and you need to mix the setting compound.

On a smaller job the shorter setting time allows faster re-coat without the longer setting time of pre-mix.

Overall it is a better material for hardness and durability.
    Unlike setting compound it does not soften with water after setting, but behaves much more like a real plaster product.

• brickeyee
    12 years ago

Unlike pre-mix setting compound does not soften with water after setting, but behaves much more like a real plaster product.

• bus_driver
    12 years ago

My best results at painting patched places is to sand, prime the patch and let it dry thoroughly. Then lightly sand the primer and prime again. Then after that dries, paint.