Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
homemade starter strip for vinyl siding?

Posted by engineeredgarden (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 25, 09 at 15:41

I am gonna install vinyl siding on my 8x8 shed, and recently purchased the siding, j-channel, and outside corners for it. Lowes doesn't offer a starter strip (or at least I didn't see one), and I was wondering if I could trim down a piece of siding panel to make my own starter strip?

EG

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: homemade starter strip for vinyl siding?

Sure, why not? I am not a vinyl siding expert, but when I have helped, we often trimmed down pieces as needed. If it works and looks good then that is all you need.

o

A cutoff edge of siding won't be as stiff as the formed metal starter strip, but with enough nailing it ought to work.
Casey

o

Thanks, I figured it would work ok.

EG

o

Lowes has vinyl and metal starter strips.

You just did not ask nor look closely enough.

Your vinyl siding manufacturer also makes starter strip which is mandatory for use with the manufacturer's siding products.

Use of anything other than the manufacturer's approved starter strip can void any warranty the manufacturer may offer on its siding products.

Use the right starter strip or risk paying out-of-pocket for your own mistakes in the event of a product failure.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here