Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fill crack - silicone II, caulk or insulating form sealant?

Posted by coody (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 14, 09 at 15:35

There is a crack/ seam between the window frame and outside wall. The crack is deep and wide in the corner. The rain comes in from the crack/seam. I need to fill it. Should I apply the silicone II, caulk (may need backer rod) or insulating foam sealant? Which one is better considering the corner has a wide crack but the other area has a seam. See the picture

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fill crack - silicone II, caulk or insulating form sealant?

100% GE silicone is best for a joint that will move that much. There must be good adhesion on the sides and it can stick to nothing in the middle which is best accomplished with a backer rod if it will stay in place long enough to give the sealant an hour glass shape. I would try to match the color of the brick not the window because it will be a mess.

But it will only be temporary since the window doesn't really fit in the opening. For a proper sealant joint the window must overlap the brick about an inch and there should be about a 1/4" joint for the sealant. You might have to add some small aluminum angles to the front of the window to create that kind of joint or tear it out and start over.

o

I only saw the white 100% GE silicone in the Home Depot. Do you know where I can find the red 100% GE silicone to match the bricks? In addition, can you see what material that the builder to apply to fill the joint between the window frame and wall and among the bricks? Picture

o

It looks like mortar to me and I would assume it will fall out eventually.

Here is a link that might be useful: silicone color

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here