Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thread pitch

Posted by joe_mn (My Page) on
Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 15:33

I have a metric bolt. M5x0.8 which is equal to 32 thds per inch. An M5 is about 0.195 thread diameter. I see a 10-32 bolt is 0.19 across thread and 32 threads per inch. Would a M5 bolt thread into a 10-32 nut?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thread pitch

No. I have never found any metric machine threaded fastener that will directly interchange with any NF or NC standard fastener. But you can certainly try it.

Your math is a bit off. 32 threads per inch is 0.03125 (inches) per turn. Metric .8 is 0.31496 (inches), a difference of 0.000246. Not much but the difference will accumulate and it will jam.
And that metric screw is almost 0.007 (inches) larger diameter than the #10--32. In this context, that is MUCH larger.

This post was edited by bus_driver on Mon, Nov 18, 13 at 16:25

o

Will not fit, period. Maybe once without coming off as it would be crossthreaded

o

It's for older Honda antenna mast. Most all say it is metric. But it is for antenna. Thought maybe it might be some odd industry antenna base standard. The generic antennas at car stores have adapters. But none seems to know what threads are. Try a few until they fit

o

Depending on the size of the part, just take it to a hardware store and keep trying bolts until you find the one that fits.

o

Went to store. M5 nut fits perfect. Did not try 10-32.

o

So I guess that solves the problem that prompted the original post?
Based on my calculations above, using an M5 x .8 tap in the 10-32 nut would yield a usable but not perfect part.

o

Yes, thread is metric. And car is metric. It might screw into inch thread but poorly.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here