Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
csummer_gw

"wet" brick on home exterior - help please!

csummer
10 years ago

Hello all - We are in the process of buying a new home, the inspection was last week and came back very clean (only a few minor issues). We drove by the house today to show the kids "their new home" and noticed that patches of the brick on the front of the home appear "wet". It was dry and clear the day of the inspection and several days before but has been very, very rainy the last few days. We looked at the home at three different times and never noticed this issue until today. The home is only 18 months old so I am hoping this is not a real issue but am beginning to get worried. Any ideas of what this could be? I have attached a pic for reference.
I have emailed a contractor and the inspector but just wanted to see if anyone wanted to venture a guess...

Comments (26)

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

Whether this is serious or not depends on location. Where is the brick wet? It could just be moisture coming through the weep holes in the mortar that are put there for drainage purposes, or it could indicate some serious leakage issue.

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

In a very new house like this one, it's also possible that brick not intended for exterior use somehow got mixed in with the other brick. The photo seems to show relatively large wet patches on the right hand gable end - one patch toward the peak, another beneath the lower windows. Since the surrounding brick appears dry, I would be concerned, Why isn't all of the brick drying at the same rate after a rain? Especially in a cold climate, wet brick is very subject to spalling. The moisture freezes and breaks off the exterior brick surface in small patches.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

It looks like harmless condensation to me. I'll bet it disappears as soon as the sun hits it.

• roof35
    10 years ago

Irrigation gone wild? This time of year, it should be shut off. Just a WAG, but I've been sprayed by irrigation while driving.

• kudzu9
    10 years ago

I agree with trebuchet. I think it's harmless condensation...just the kind my house, with hardiboard siding, has most fall/winter mornings. I originally asked where the brick was wet because I didn't think those huge, slightly darker areas were the moisture you were referring to. I don't think this is an issue. Have you looked at other houses in that neighborhood to see if they have similar types of condensation?

• akamainegrower
    10 years ago

An experienced mason certainly ought to be able to tell, but I would want to be sure that the "different pallet" was brick manufactured for exterior use, just as I indicated in my first post. Such mistakes can happen when large quantities of brick are used in extensive building projects. Another possibility is a manufacturing glitch that did not fire the different bricks at at either a high enough temperature or long enough.

Attributing those wet areas to "harmless condensation" or irrigation sprinklers (many feet above the ground!?) is just not realistic. You need to find out why these areas are drying at such a slow rate compared to the other bricks. Since you first noticed this after a period of rainy weather, my guess would be that the bricks in question absorbed much more rain water than the others. You need to find out why and how it can be corrected.

• PRO
    Joseph Corlett, LLC
    10 years ago

csummer:

You may find this link useful:

Here is a link that might be useful: Brick

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    10 years ago

It is wet where the water was saturated into the brick via the horizontal sills of the home.

Seal the sill with a penetrating mortar/brick sealant like a WaterTite or Siloxane and it will largely eliminate that water saturation.

• Den
    5 years ago

Csummer, what did the brick mason say

• dsumners
    5 years ago
    last modified: 5 years ago

I know this is an old thread but I wish I knew what the brick mason said. We have the same problem. There are large wet triangular shaped wet areas under two of our windows. The base of the triangle is right under the window and the point of the triangle is at the bottom. The windows are over the garage, not close to the ground. We did have a lot of rain this week and it was windy, but it was sunny today and the rest of our walls are dry. If anyone has any ideas, I appreciate your suggestions.

• HU-43990443
    4 years ago

I need help please.

We changed the roof, replaced the windous, eavestrough but the wet wall is still there.

Do you have any advise please?

• joepiccaso53
    4 years ago

When you say “Horizontal seal or sill” what are you referring to? I was working around my house and noticed some wet brick in a spot. I was hanging a conduit on the brick and drilled into the mortar joint. It seemed wet. The other holes drilled with dry powder coming out. I don’t believe my lawn sprinklers spray on the house. Could this be some cold air leaking from a supply duct into the wall? It’s a ‘50’s brick ranch and we painted the brick a few years ago. Like the others, no indication of moisture inside either. I just don’t want my walls to rot if it’s wet there. I’ve never heard or thought of this before.

• PRO
    Windows on Washington Ltd
    4 years ago

If you are talking about these areas, you still have some sort of roof leak in my estimation. That is the only likely explanation unless we are talking about hurricane force sideways winds.

• joepiccaso53
    4 years ago

Thank you, but that’s no my house. I don’t have a picture. mine was on a painted brick house about 4-5’above ground level. Near a window, but not under it. I was drilling into the mortar to screw a conduit bracket in. I could feel wetness on the brick and the mortar was damp on the drill bit. I had drilled in other spots on the same wall, but it was just that one place that was wet, though I didn't check the whole house. It hadn’t rained that day, but was hot and Humid. I’m in Atlanta. I hope I don have a real problem, but I’m not sure how to find out. I appreciate your comments.

• HU-43990443
    4 years ago

Hi, This year it seams that 2 more windows have the same simptoms: top corners wet just like the one marked with blew circles.

Any comments please?

Thank you.

• PRO
    MetroNet Realty
    3 years ago

this has been happening to me I hope it's because they didnt put gutters yet it seems under windows

• joepiccaso53
    3 years ago

I don't know about the wet brick, but your foundation may be in danger without gutters. The wet brick could be condensation. Especially if you have air leaks around the windows.

• PRO
    pcanada
    3 years ago

Did you find the reason why the bricks were wet? I am encountering the same issue.

• PRO
    pcanada
    3 years ago

• HU-725767231
    3 years ago

Mine was from my lawn sprinklers spraying on my house. Brick is Porous. You probably have a leak somewhere or condensation. The wet brick itself probably isn’t a problem, but where the water is coming from maybe.

• millworkman
    3 years ago

@pcanada This is still from 1 1/2" years ago? What have you done to see about the issue? Have you taken the advice above and had the roof checked for leaks?

• HU-725767231
    3 years ago

I adjusted my sprinkler heads so they don’t spray on the house anymore.

• PRO
    pcanada
    3 years ago

@millworkman, thank you for your response! I will have the roof checked. It seems roof could be the only possible reason.

• HU-700011445
    2 years ago

hi, did you solve the problem yet? i have the same issue now

• HU-700011445
    2 years ago

i also have the same issue, wet beside the windows

Sponsored
Outdoor Spaces
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Experienced Full Service Landscape Design Firm Serving Loudoun County