Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placemnt of air handler

Posted by Bernie508 (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 5, 11 at 14:53

I am planning to build a 950sq ft guest house. The condensor will be on a slab outside the house. I am trying to save space by placing the airhandler in the attic. The attic area will be insulated with Icenyne (Zip Foam). I was informed that moving the airhandler into the attic a higher seer rated unit is needed and the cost of placing the whole HVAC unit would increase by about 1/3. Does this seem reasonable?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of air handler

I am planning to build a 950sq ft guest house. The condensor will be on a slab outside the house. I am trying to save space by placing the airhandler in the attic. The attic area will be insulated with Icenyne (Zip Foam). I was informed that moving the airhandler into the attic a higher seer rated unit is needed and the cost of placing the whole HVAC unit would increase by about 1/3. Does this seem reasonable?

o
RE: Placemnt of air handler

I don't know about the cost. Ducts leak so it is always better to put the whole air handler and duct system within the envelope. The attic can be in the envelope if you are insulating the roof deck. I don't know where you are planning on putting the Icenyne roof deck or living space ceiling. Is this going to be an occasionally-occupied guest house or see a lot of use? If the former, the efficiency is not as big an issue. Where are you located and what is the climate like? Is this a heat pump-only system? How many rooms?

o
RE: Placemnt of air handler

I should have written that this would be best posted in the HVAC forum. I think that you should add details and post there.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here