Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jsell_gw

3 way switch not working

jsell
9 years ago

Hi.. I have a 3 way switch in kitchen, other end in garage which is never used. The switch controls flourescent lights in garage. Lights were not working when cold so assumed it was due to cold flourescents. I added an incadescent light at 1st fixture box and then ran wire from box to flourescents thinking when cold at least incadescent light would work. All worked fine. Today it is cold again and I turned on switch and nothing works. Could the cold be effecting switch?

Comments (5)

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

Sounds more like a loose connection.

When you are joining the wires, prior to attaching the wire nut, you need to twist the wires together, however, be sure that all of the conductors are stripped and equal length.

• jsell
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Even though lights have been working fine for weeks and then once cold no longer works

• snoonyb
    9 years ago

If your connections are as I described, then replacing the switch most used would be the next step.

Heat and one of the switches in a 3 way circuit, left in the midway travel of their throw, will affect a switch circuit far sooner than cold.

• sdello
    9 years ago

Are you throwing the switches the same way all the time? A properly wired 3-way switch configuration will operate regardless of the position of the other switch so that neither has a consistent "on" or "off" position. i.e. if the light is on when you're in the garage, it shouldn't matter if the toggle is up or down, throwing it the other way will switch it off. the other switch should do the same.

An improperly wired 3-way can force a switch to be in one position (say up) in order for the second switch to turn the fixture on and off. If wired improperly and the first switch is down (not up), then the second switch will not do anything and it will seem like the switch is broken.

Is there a chance that you've always followed the same pattern and everything "worked ok" and now the relative switch positions have changed so things "stopped working".

Check the wiring. It may have always been incorrect and you just didn't notice it.

• ionized_gw
    9 years ago

BTW, if you put a modern, quality, common spec ballast in the luminaire with conventional lamps, they should strike down to 0 F. It might save you a lot of aggravation. Either check the specs of the tubes and ballasts or stay away from low output ballasts and low output lamps.

If you need lower temps, you can use a special ballast.