Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joelq

Replacing rotted treshold from pre-hung door

joelq
14 years ago

Hi all -

I'm going to have to replace the treshold on my pre-hung door. Since the door was pre-hung, I think the treshold will be attached to the door jambs. Will it? If that's the case, what's the process for replacing the treshold? Do I cut the jamb (I'm thinking 6 inches from the bottom)?

As far as I can tell, there's no rotting in the jamb, but since I'm cutting the jamb anyway, I assume I just replace it with a fresh piece of wood? Do I need to do anything to attach this fresh piece of wood the the jamb, or is it sufficient to drive screws through the fresh piece of wood into the door frame?

Thanks, everyone!

Comments (4)

• User
    14 years ago

You can buy the threshhold from many home improvement stores or lumber yards. You can get wood or metal replacements.

When I did that for customers, I removed the entire frame, removed the old threshhold from the jambs, replaced with the new, and reinstalled the frame and door.

Expect damage to the framing under the threshhold.

• joelq
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, handymac! When you say you removed the entire frame, did you take the entire pre-hung door unit out, or just the jambs?

In my case, the threshold is right on top of a concrete slab, so there shouldn't be any other damage underneath the treshold.

• stash-hdy
    14 years ago

You can just remove the threshold from the Jam. Cut the threshold in the center then remove each half by working it back and forth, Cut the new threshold to length if required and slip it under the jam. A chopsaw can be used to cut the threshold. You may need to tap it in with a hammer and block, glue the threshold to the slab and then caulk. Place a glue like locktite exterior glue on the underside of the threshold before you insert it under the jam.

• User
    14 years ago

You take the door off. Remove interior and exterior trim. Renove the weather seal in the old threshhold and remove the screws attachi8ng the threshhold to the concrete. Cut the nails and remove the entire frame.

The threshhold will be nailed to the undersides of the frame sides. When installing the new threshhold, caulk the ends of the frames before attaching the new threshhold---prevents leaks.

Then reinstall the one piece frame, using threshhold caulk under the new threshhold. Threshhold caulk does no harden, it remains pliable to make a longer lasting seal as the threshhold moves when stepprd on or rolled over by two wheelers when moving.