Return to the Home Repair Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
matching new and old white cedar siding

Posted by exacting (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 26, 08 at 14:02

I am renovating my 50 year old colonial New England home and it was re-sided 10 years ago with Maibec white cedar factory treated with bleaching oil. We are keeping some of the 10 year old shingles on the house and they have not been touched since installed and they are grey with some black spots from weather/mold. There are areas in the front of the house which will have new shingles and old shingles. I am thinking of going with untreated white cedar for the new shingles then power washing the old and then using a semi transparent stain on the whole thing to try to get a close match between old and new. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: matching new and old white cedar siding

When on cape cod in the mid eighties, a bleach solution was used to "blanch" the shingle, rid mold, and get it closer to looking like a newer applied shingle. Sorry i dont know what the mix ratio that was used, but you might ask siders or painters in your area if the technique is still used and the mix ratio if it is.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Home Repair Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here